Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nico45ser

severely dehydrated phals

allymarie
10 years ago

Hi,
I have 2 phals that are severely dehydrated. The leaves are green but limp and wrinkled.They both have roots but seem dehydrated.When wet,the roots turn green.I took them out of the pots a few months ago and tried to put them in a plastic bag greenhouse but mold started growing in the bag.I then tied them on a bamboo post and hung them under my avocado tree thinking the South Florida humidity would help them do a little better.That didn't help much.I would appreciate any advice anyone can give.I really want to save these orchids.Thank you in advance.

Comments (14)

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

My advice would be to put them back in pots; a bark mixture for orchids. When you water them, completely immerse the pot in a container for about 10 minutes so that the bark can absorb water, then remove it and drain thoroughly. This way, even though the roots will still be in an airy media that won't rot them, the bark will keep the humidity around the roots high, and hopefully the roots and leaves will rehydrate and become more healthy.

There's a few orchid people here that live in FL that will know more than I about how often you should water. I would say no more than once a week. My phals are in a very dry environment, so I water them in the manner described above every 5 or 6 days. This would be way too often in a more humid environment.

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much Danielle, I appreciate the advice greatly. I will try to pot them up and hope for the best.

• cwren58
    10 years ago

Hi I have mine mounted on cedar boards in my sun room. I fill a sink with water and mild amount of fertilizer and let them soak 2 to 3 times a week. I have them mounted in moss. Also they hang upside down so water doesn't collect in the top of the leaves.

I live in South Carolina--which is also humid--but I use AC so it isn't humid where I have the plants.

If they are not in pots they do need to be watered more frequently. In the wild they would grow upside down hanging from trees--or at least that is what I've been told.

The leaves do get a little limp between waterings--but I don't think they are severely dehydrated--also the roots do look green after soaking.

mary

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I agree with Danielle. I wouldn't mount Phals unless you can water regularly. I am in your zone and find mounted phals a pain. In Florida, we are entering the dry period with low humidity and little rain. They will dry out very quickly. You are better off following Danielle's instructions.

Jane

• cwren58
    10 years ago

Jane is probably right. Mine are on the wall to keep busy hands away from them. I have grandchildren here often and they are very young.. and inquisitive. (as in naughty- LOL)
    I love how they look on the wall too.

I am available to water often so its ok for me--also if you use a tighter moss than sphagnum it is better there are mosses that hold water like a sponge. I am planning to try my next one using live moss and just see what happens. will probably die, we'll see.
    Mary

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I potted them up in orchid bark in clear plastic pots so I can monitor root growth.Thank you all, I appreciate your advice.

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

Good luck! This way has been the most successful for me.

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update on my two dehydrated orchids.I potted them up in orchid bark and gave them a good soaking.One is almost rehydrated and the other is slowly rehydrating.I'm very pleased with their progress.I hate to lose my orchids because they are expensive.Thanks again for the tips.

Allymarie

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update on my two dehydrated orchids.I potted them up in orchid bark and gave them a good soaking.One is almost rehydrated and the other is slowly rehydrating.I'm very pleased with their progress.I hate to lose my orchids because they are expensive.Thanks again for the tips.

Allymarie

• Samuel Miensinompe
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I bought a very beautiful phal, and for two weeks it looked great. Then it started to dehydrate. I watered it and thought it was making a comeback, but without knowing it was actually getting worst. The flowers got all droopy and the leaves soft. I took it out of the pot and all of the strong roots were attached to one root at the tiny bottom of the plant and I think that part has rotted.

it dehydrated so fast. But hydrating it back has been difficult. It is now living in a plastic bowl full of reverse osmosis water with orchid fertilizer. It has an air stone right by the roots to supply it with oxygen. It has been there for a couple of days without much hydration. Why is it so difficult to hydrate them?

• jane__ny
    6 years ago

Samuel, why don't you start a separate post so your question doesn't get lost? Include a few pictures if you can.

Your situation might be different than Allymarie's post. It sounds like your plants may have lost their roots which cause the same dehydration. If a plant loses roots, it can't take up water.

Please start a new post and include a few pictures.

Jane

• Samuel Miensinompe
    6 years ago

But why start a new post. This is about orchid dehydration. So water can not be soaked in through the leaves?

Yes it is a root problem. The plant’s roots are rotted. Only two small ones are alive.

it has two flowering stalks. I think I am going to have to cut them off so that I can save the plant the flowers keep opening even though the plant is dehydrated.

is there any proven chemical for rooting orchids?

• jane__ny
    6 years ago

Samuel, your question is lost in an old post by someone else.

You would get more help and replies if you start your own post.

Regarding your plant, you need to protect those two roots and hope your plant will survive. Do not overwater, do not damage those roots. Move your plant to a bright window. Cut off the flower spikes and only water when the media is almost dry.

Give your plant lots of light (not direct sun), but very bright and hope for the best.

Jane

• Samuel Miensinompe
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You know, I cut the flower stalks and placed them in water, and they are hydrating again. I wonder if you can do the same with the orchid.

Like cutting a small piece at the bottom to allow water to seep in, just like the cut flowers. I don’t dare experiment on this plant, though. Seeing it now all nicely potted, I have a feeling it is going to make it.

thanks for your help, and quick response.