Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini scented Phal

Posted by Will07 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 12:19

While tending to my plants a couple weeks ago I noticed this one was starting to send up a new spike. I'm thrilled! I bought this for my grandma about 3 and a half years ago and she gave it back to me when the flowers died off to see if I could get it to rebloom. I've never really gave it much attention even though the flowers are spectacular and have an amazing scent. I put all my orchids outside this summer and so far 3 out of 7 are or have bloomed. I really hate the pot this one is in and I never got around to repotting it properly this summer.

Does anyone have any idea of a name for this orchid? The flowers are a lighting pink with a bit of a shimmer but I can't describe the smell it's very powerful and very unique. The closest thing I can describe it to would be a sharp lilac smell. Also the leaves seem unique, I've never seen another one like it. I've seen a couple mini orchids with a scent with similar looking leaves but not as dark or spotted as these.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini scented Phal

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 18:42

Maybe it has Phalaenopsis violacea/bellina as an ancestor hence the perfume. You have nil chance of getting an id from a description and only a remote chance of an id even with a photo.
Google those two species and select images to see if your orchid looks a little bit like them.
There are probably other species Phalaenopsis with a perfume.

o
RE: Mini scented Phal

The mottling on the leaves gives it away. If I recall my phal species correctly, phalaenopsis schilleriana has mottled leaves and some varieties are definitely fragrant. Based on the very limited evidence you might have a hybrid with schilly as a parent.

Of course with no bloom photos you'll meet know. Even with photos te chance of a true ID is slim.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here