Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't want to goof it up!

Posted by sage721 6 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 30, 10 at 12:22

My one and only orchid is a rehab assignment Phal. I just noticed the emergence of a flower spike. Unfortunately, the spike appeared just when I was making plans to repot. The spike is probably 1" long and the plant looks otherwise healthy. Except that its been in the same pot for probably like two years and some of the visable roots (in a clear plastic pot inside terracotta pot) are kinda brown. Was thinking a root pruning and repot would be a good idea. If I root prune gently and cleanly then repot, will the plant abort the blooming effort? If it does bloom for several months (fingers crossed), I won't be able to repot for a while. Don't want to goof this up.... any suggestions would be much appreciated....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't want to goof it up!

go ahead and repot it now. decide how many roots are still good after you trim off dead. if there's still several good roots, then just leave the spike. if there's very few left the cut the spike off and let the energy go into making new roots.

o

Looks like I got a pretty good bunch of roots to work with, so I'll go ahead with the repot. From what I've been reading, phals are pretty easy to care for, so I would assume that would include being forgiving to the care of an amateur. Like I said, my first orchid, so thanks much for the advise.

o

just feel each of the roots. the good ones will be gray/white and firm and the bad ones will be brown and mushy or hollow. cut off the strings inside the hollow ones too

o

Once a Phal makes a spike it usually fights to the bitter death to keep it. I have one flowering right now which has completely dropped all its leaves. They are not meant to be deciduous. Do what the hell you like to it, you will not prevent it flowering. The big challenge is get the b*****s to go into spike in the first place! - Ian.

o

I have to disagree. I've had spikes abort with a change in temps. I've had them abort with a repot. If I really wanted the flowers, I'd wait unless the plant is rotting. Doesn't sound like it is.

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here