Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
val1_gw

Can This Orchid Be Saved?

val1
9 years ago

I was given this orchid by an individual working at a florist shop. They were going to throw it away, so she gave it to me. Can it be saved? I do very well with Phals but have never had one of these. I hear they are difficult. It was so dry when I recieved it, I gave it a good soak. Now what do I do with it?

{{gwi:202585}}

{{gwi:202586}}

Comments (11)

• theloyalplum
    9 years ago

From my experience, most orchids can be saved bar massive amounts of rot. I'm not a dendro expert, but I wouldn't give up on it quite yet! Think of it as a challenge!

• arthurm
    9 years ago

A Big Challenge. It is a warm growing Hard Cane Dendrobium, See if you can find some complete culture notes on the net to give you some idea of its needs.
    Plant is in poor condition so it might be a difficult exercise.

• berkeleysgr8
    9 years ago

When you repot it, it may be beneficial to put a loose plastic bag over the plant to assist in keeping the humidity higher while it regrows a decent root system. I think it's worth a shot at saving!

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Canadian orchid congress notes say "easy to grow" Lol.
    I've put them in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phal Type Dendrobium notes

• chilover
    9 years ago

I have several of these. Mine grow the best when I pot them in some type of stone or rock like you can buy at a hydrophobic store. Make sure the pot has lots of holes, I use pots with holes in the bottom and the sides. It looks like you have some good roots yet so it should come back. They like it warm and if potted in a rock type culture you can water every 5-7 days. Mine grow and flower with no problem but I've found they hate it if they get cold. I put them out in the summer in a shaded but bright spot but bring them inside in the fall when it's still in the high 60's outside. Inside I keep some just in an east window and I have others under lights because I ran out of space on the window sill.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

There is a trick with that kind of dens. My guess is it is too far gone for a repot. Get a flat tray with holes on the bottom. Add about an inch plus of potting material. Lay the canes flat on the medium. Water daily and fertilized 2 times a week. Keep it warm. It may sprout some babies. If so give them a lot of time before harvesting.

If successful, when it shows at least 3 roots half inch or longer, cut the cane2" to the left and 2" to the right and pot it all. the old cane will provide early nutrition. But is it worth it? Only you know. Good luck.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I worked at an orchid nursery in Vero Beach, Fl. for one year. We sold mostly dendrobiums. I would repot it into a clay pot with drainage. The canes without leaves should be left on until they turn brown and then you can cut them up. Cut off any dark dead roots. I use pine bark mixed with charcoal and coarse perlite. Put it in a bright window. It needs a pot clip to hold it upright. Or I guess you could stake it if you doesn't have a clip. I would give it half strength orchid fertilizer also. I always thought they were easy to grow. It might send up kikis (babies) anyway. I never heard of laying it flat in a tray and watering daily. I'd be afraid that would rot it.

This post was edited by zackey on Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 20:29

• little_bee
    9 years ago

I have many dens...they are resilient. It will eventually shoot new growth. They like to be tight in a pot. I would repot it and give it pleanty of bright light and make it comfortable...give it time. Don't give up on it. Meanwhile, buy yourself a new orchid to satisfy your need for beautiful flowers, then after a while you will have two beautiful orchids.

• AllanEW
    9 years ago

Never say die. Orchids can in some cases appear to be like the phoenix and rise from almost nothing. The photo you show is that of an Australian Dendrobium. Dependent as to where you are these can grow outside on trees.
    To get it going you can use #3 Bark mix I would tend to give it a strong soaking in water followed by a light feed. Initially I would also mix up a light dose of Epsom salts and poor that over the bark.There are some great sites on the web which can provide ongoing advice on sprays etc. Good luck success is providing like growing conditions to its natural habitat.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

What do the Epsom salts do?

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Yes, it might be Dendrobium bigibbum, but that is only a might be.
    Epsom salts provides Magnesium an essential trace element and is also used as a plant tonic.
    Widely used in Horticulture, for some reason it assists in the germination of sweet pea seeds.