Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

What makes an orchid desirable?

orchidnick
10 years ago

The question came up in the Gallery forum. What exactly makes an orchid desirable? I'll list some of the things I look for and see what others have to add.

1) I cannot have it already. Duplication is definitely out.

2) It must be willing to live in my growing conditions. I bend over backwards on that one and keep banging my head against the wall with certain ones (Dendrobium cuthbersonii for example) that insist on suicide no matter how hard I try.

3) It must complement my collection. There are 6 species amongst the macrobulbon group of the Bulbophyllums. I have 5 of them and have tried several times to grow B cruentum, unsuccessfully I might add. When Andy admits that he can't grow it, maybe it's time to give up. There is one Pleuro amongst the 6 giants in the Pleuro world (really only 5 as regina appears to be a mistake) that I don't have. I'll bend over backwards to get that one at any cost.

4) Price must be reasonable. Exceptions such as above are tolerated.

5) Must must have an interesting and unique presentation. There is a Maxillaria ready to bloom that does not look like an orchid at all. I'm not at home and cannot think of the name, will post a picture in a couple of days.

6) Must be difficult to get. I'm just sprouting some Ophrys that I got from Germany and some Au terrestrials that are easy in Australia but impossible for us. Also got them from that German source. If Trader Joes or HD has them that's a no-no.

7) Must be attractive. Notice how far down the list that one is for me. 5 years ago it would have been much higher. 10 years ago near the top. 17 years ago it would have been at the top. I was at SBOE this weekend and they had a stunning BLC with flowers close to 10" with a strong substance and excellent form and color. Don't come any better. 2 leads with 6 flowers at $100.00. Passed on it but would have paid twice that for Pleuro collossus which is anything but pretty.

I'm hoping for some comments. I realize that size is paramount for some window sill growers, luckily for me that is not a problem so I did not mention it but I recognize it is definitely a major consideration for some growers.

Nick

Comments (14)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

For me it must have a flower I find attractive or foliage I find attractive and price that I find attractive.

• parodise
    10 years ago

For me, it must mature attractively and challenge me to nurture the plant into a spectacular specimen eventually - be it flowerwise (count/size) or growthwise. I'm an impulse buyer to a great extent, so the "chemistry" with the plant has to be right - it will become close to a family member after all...

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

I've only just reached a point where I have a workable understanding of orchid needs. I've managed to rescue a few phals that fell into my hands and get them growing again. I've since acquired two oncidiums and kept them alive. Dare I say it, they're happy. I do expect what I seek in an orchid to change as time passes; I hope to feel more confident growing them, so that I will dare to take on a more demanding plant, and I hope to have more space in the future, which will allow me more freedom in the size of the plants I add to my collection.

Right now I need an orchid that:

is right for the climate that I can provide; humidity and temperature are two things that I cannot easily manipulate in the space I have available. Those two things definitely limit my choices.

is right for the amount of time I have to care for it. I'd love to try my hand at having an orchid mounted on bark, but I know that I just don't have the time for the daily attention it would need.

will bloom every year, if not twice a year. I'm a patient gal, but I really, really want the return on investment. Gimme some flowers!!

is compact. I like a well-contained plant, both for space and aesthetics. I don't know if this will ever change. None of my plants are the sort that grow willy-nilly; I'm a pruner. Even my trailing plants are kept in orderly condition. I understand the "pot in a pot in a pot" theory; I'm not sure that my issues with being neat and orderly would ever allow me to do such a thing (I'm working on my issues)!

is pretty. This is fairly low on the list, my first phals were in dire shape when they came to me. They still bear the scars, clinging to bedraggled leaves that refuse to yellow and fall off, surviving on two or three gnarled old roots and a few newer, shorter, stubby ones. They are not yet healthy enough to flower. All of my newer ones are pretty; bright green leaves, gorgeous flowers.

I know one day I'll crave exotic finds ... I've already gotten to that point with my succulent collection. But for right now, the butter yellow hybrid, the tiny little Twinkle, and the silly mini phal I found at IKEA (I know, I know) are keeping my cup filled. They're not particularly high maintenance, they live in the environment I'm able to easily provide, and darn it, they are so very pretty!

This post was edited by Danielle317 on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 18:33

• Corgikarma
    10 years ago

I'm always attracted to the plants that look different (LOVE my staghorns and rabbit foot ferns, tons of succulents and carnivorous plants) so I usually look for something that is different. My fiancé bought me a Pisgah Spider that I am in love with. I also have a green Paph with variegated leaves(Paph. Mem. Brayden Nicholson), a dendro that I bought out of bloom so it's a mystery and a tiny oncidium that was also a surprise. I also have a phal that is white and looks like someone dripped purple ink on it,
    I think buying orchids out of bloom is an attraction to me because it becomes a surprise. But I prefer oncidiums. Phals aren't my favorite.
    Also sales are great and as long as it's not something I have I'll usually bite. I have been known to gift plants after running out of room and finding a great deal.
    Cattleyas are pretty and fragrant but I've found they are finicky and the foliage isn't very impressive once the bloom fades.
    Really it comes down to price and how "weird" they look.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

I like the strange stuff too! I also grow carnivorous plants. But try Amorphophallus! I grow the 'Konjac' variety. Fun plants! eBay is starting to get some corms of them now.

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

Most of the traits that I would consider desirable are already listed here (size, uniqueness, price, adaptability to my condition). Still, I would add flower presentation and longevity to my desirable featured list.

Flowers the droop excessively or hide in the foliage are out for me. This probably sounds egocentrical but I like for my blooms to greet me when I walk into the growing area. Or at least present themselves in I way that makes me believe they are.

As for longevity, if the blooms only last a week or two, the orchid is out. The only short blooming i would consider is where the individual flowers are short lived but the frequency of blooming makes for a longer showing. I like to enjoy my plants and the flowers and I need more time.

• arthurm
    10 years ago

Here is probably one of my best orchids (out of a thousand or so) Meets one of the important criteria too. Price! Think it cost about $8 in a tube. Originated by H & R orchids in Hawaii. From memory I purchased three seedlings and this was the best to flower.
    C. maxima x sib
    {{gwi:202597}}
    What makes it desirable? The colour! The non filled in shape. I love it!

• westoh Z6
    10 years ago

What I desire and what I can grow aren't always in sync :-(.

1. Uniqueness, not only to my collection but in general also. I like to try and grow a bit of everything as long as it's Intermediate to Warm.
    2. The flower(s), what I think is pretty or just 'neat'.
    3. The growth habit (How does the plant look out of flower?)
    4. It fills out something in my collection (blue phal, new kovachii cross, another P. violacea cross I like, etc...)
    5. I know I can grow it.
    6. It is not huge. I have to be able to move most of the collection to a spare bedroom for 5-6 months of the year. But, I'll knowingly buy a 'special' plant that starts out small and know that I'll have to give it away or trade it at some point in the future, just hope to see a few flowers before that time.

Bob

• whitecat8
    10 years ago

Exceptions to all of these, of course.

1. It's affordable.

2. It grows indoors in my intermediate/warm conditions.

3. Tolerates low-ish humidity. The 1.5" high Platystele umbellata is in a homemade terrarium that's 6" wide so there's enough humidity for it to produce those eensie flowers that look like raspberries.

4. Size is miniature to compact, or the plant stays on the compact side for several years.

5. Grows in a pot. Dunking the 2 mounted orchids each day is enough.

6. The flowering period lasts several weeks.

7. Something about the orchid just "does it" for me. See raspberries. :) Every single frilly peloric Phal thrills me. Go figure.

8. Theoretically, there's already enough room. If the 2 mounted orchids weren't hanging from brooder light fixtures, there wouldn't be room for all 38 orchids. Well, theoretically.

9. Available from a U.S. grower. Mostly, this is a cost factor. A few years ago, when I was scouring the planet for Habenaria medusae, a guy in Germany offered to send me a corm the following spring, but I found a plant in the U.S.

Nick, I enjoy your tales of getting all 5 giant Pleuros, etc. and ferreting out obscure sources. It'll be interesting to hear about the Australian terrestrials.

1. Having 2 of the same plant is okay if I loooove it and it *should* grow in my conditions. Maybe the 4th and 5th pots of Phal speciosa 'C1' will like the warmer temps that Peter Lin @ Big Leaf Orchids suggested.
    2. Continues to be a bit of a challenge or shouldn't grow in my conditions. I've given away or sold plants that thrived and bloomed reliably.

Good question, Nick. WhiteCat8

This post was edited by whitecat8 on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 17:54

• parodise
    10 years ago

A bit off topic, but still... I have noticed there have been a lot of exciting and unusual Phal hybrids coming on the market in the past couple of years; there are loads of them at any orchid show now - at least around here. I was wondering if these are meant purely for the "lay public" who use them primarily for home decoration and chuck the poor things once they are done blooming, or they also manage to catch the eye of more experienced and picky collectors?

• arthurm
    10 years ago

There are some very desirable phalaenopsis sold to the mass market. I have found several that were of sufficient quality to win prizes at an orchid society meeting or show.
    Of course, they are meant for the lay public and are a cheap bunch of flowers, especially if there are few buds still to open and the plants had just arrived at the sale source.
    It only takes a few for a pristine plant to be wrecked by the general public so you have to buy as the plants are put on sale.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Arthur, that $8 dollar Cat is beautiful. My type of plant. I am a sucker for beautiful flowers and fragrance. I don't care if the flower lasts 2 days. If I get chills each time I look at it, its long enough for me.

Jane

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went out of my way to get this one because it is different. Does not even look like an orchid but like some house/patio plant. It is Maxillaria scalariformis from Panama.

Nick

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

Great question Nick. I will go along with 1,2, and 3 that Nick indicates. I like plants that the blooms are long lasting. And frequent bloomers. But a special orchid without those attributes will not be ignored. I like all the colors but I the green flowers are my favorites. If the spikes of a particular orchid may branch out, I prefer that too. I also like fragrant flowers. So no foul smelling orchids please. I'll allow an odd smelling plant. I have a native endangered toluleium (equitant onc.) that smells like moth balls. I don't like it but don't mind it. I like unique and different too.

I avoid buying orchids that may have some of the above attributes if it is not healthy or possibly improperly potted. The big box orchids (home depot etc.) are frequently potted with material that will hold the bloom but drown the plant. No good.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm