Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

Phal dendrobium

dakota01
9 years ago

I got a phal (hard cane) Dendrobium last year which is potted in a small pot with tiny lava rock. It did put up a new cane which started to flower a month ago. It's in beautiful full bloom right now.

When it's done bl�oming does it need to rest and receive little light and water? Or should I just treat as I have been? Water when dry, fertilize every other week or so? This plant looks very healthy but it does have roots popping out of the bottom of the pot, should I repot in a slightly larger pot, use the same medium or does lava need replaced now and then like bark? Should I change over to Dendrobium bark?

I'm so glad I got it to bloom, so I want to be sure not to kill it! Lol

I have searched the net for answers but I'm not sure which sites are giving accurate info. It is grown mainly on or near a window sill.

If it's healthy when should I expect it to bloom again?
Thanks

Comments (5)

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Peak blooming should be Autumn/Early Winter. These are easy in tropical places such as Hawaii, S.E. Asia, NE Australia, Warmer parts of Florida and possibly in Centrally Heated Homes in the Frozen North of USA.
    Be wary of notes talking about the dry rest, you want the plant to start growing a new pseudobulb/Cane as soon as possible. Once the flowers die perhaps reduce watering a little but keep the plant warm,and as new growth starts to grow in size increase watering and fertilizer.
    You should put your state and climate Zone in your my page details so that you can get better advice.
    There are other types of warm growing Hard-cane Dendrobiums. They are all considered difficult here and in parts of California.
    Phal Type: Memoria Kathleen Ford
    {{gwi:202678}}
    Intermediate Type: Dendrobium Woo Leng 'Blue Lip'
    {{gwi:202679}}

• dakota01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in PA which is North and cold! LOL

Do you think I should repot after I cut the flower spike back? Ther are probably 4 canes in a square 2 1/2 inch pot.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Yes, but you have a nice centrally heated house. Of, course I do not know the answer to your question. What are you doing for light during the depths of winter?

Mine spend all year in glass-houses. One with nil heating and the other one with a little bit of heating. I am a miser. Light at any time of year is not a problem. But cold "Brrrr" night temps in the 40's F are for this type of Dendrobium.

You could try Nick's pot within a pot so that you do not disturb the plant too much, wait till the near the end of winter, find a pot that is a little larger, enlarge the drainage holes in the existing pot, place the pot in the slightly larger pot and fill the gap between the two pots with bits of lava rock.

See if can find some decent notes written for Northern USA. There is a set on the Canadian orchid congress site that may be helpful.

• dakota01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try the pot in pot and check the Canadian site for growing tips.

I only got this plant in mid summer, so for the winter I just planned on leaving it near a window that gets the most light even in winter.
    Would keeping it near a regular incandescent bulb that's on from 5 pm till 12 am do it any good?

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Arthur's suggestion is a good one. You can stick the pot inside another and wait until spring to repot. Dends like to dry out before watering especially during winter. Be careful not to overwater.

You can let the plant rest but give it as much light as you can. This type of dend likes warmth and light. As the days get longer it will initiate new growth (cane). The newest cane will be your flowers for next year. These plants can flower from the older cane as well but the plant requires good light.

A regular light bulb will not be good. It gives off too much heat and will burn the plant. If you can put a CFL bulb in your lamp it will help. But, the plant will probably wait until early spring to begin growing again. I would not fertilize until you see new growth beginning.

When I grew these in NY, I pretty much forgot about them until I saw new growth and that was in March. You will not get any more flowers this year.

Jane

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living