Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting Phal to bloom?

Posted by bawright913 Kansas, USA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 14, 10 at 13:10

It has been 5 months since the blooms on my Phal have died. When the blooms died I cut the stem but I guess I cut it too low for it to bloom again from the same stem, so the stem has died. I have just started fertilizing it with an orchid fertilizer every time I water it (which is about once every week and a half) and was instructed by a nursery that carries many orchids to place it in a shaded area of the house instead of in front of the window like I had it. I live in Kansas so it is starting to get colder. The apartment is kept around 64-66F which has cooled down from where it was normally kept. It usually gets cooler at night because we crack the window.

Is there anything else I can try to help it produce a new spike and bloom. I still have about 6in of the old spike left, but it is dead. Should I cut it down to the base and get rid of it?

Thanks,
BW

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting Phal to bloom?

There is still time for it to bloom. Peak flowering here is September/October so counting back 110 days you get May/June. November/December there. Do not give up hope.

There are a couple of FAQ's to read about Phal. blooming and if you give more details about your growing conditions the locals will be able to assist.

o
RE: Getting Phal to bloom?

BW:

The amount of light coming through a window may vary due to direction, outside objects such as trees or awnings, and weather/clouds. I have many of my phals right next to windows that face north or east, west with an awning. Though phals are lower-light orchids, they still need good bright light, just not direct sun. Phalaenopsis species grow in shady areas outside, inside a house without any light is just too dark.

Which direction does your window face?

What are the nutrient numbers on your fertilizer? Some are for growth, others for blooming, others for general use. I prefer an even-numbered fertilizer (like 20-20-20), used weakly (1/4 strength) at each watering throughout the year.

Phals do not thrive in temperatures below 55 - 60 degrees, depending on their genetic makeup. The cooldown you describe may help start spiking. It has started cooling down here in Las Vegas, and spikes are starting to appear on my early-spring blooming phals. The summer bloomers will have to wait until it warms up again.

Hope this helps!

jeanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here