Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bea_in_fl

? For shavedmonkey and Jane

I would like to attend some Florida orchid shows in 2015. With your experience in orchids if you had to pick the top two orchid shows in the state which would you pick? Thx

Comments (11)

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

http://www.redlandorchidfestival.org try that in Homestead

Join your local society. They have an annual show also

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Where do you live? I am in Sarasota (Gulf Coast) and attend the Sarasota Orchid Show in January, Venice, Naples, Englewood and Manatee. I can send you links if you live within driving distance.

Jane

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jane, i live in Jax but Gary and I are birders and drive quite a bit for that. So driving a couple hours each way is not much of an issue.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I'll send you the info on the shows coming up in Dec/Jan. I think you are further than 'a couple of hours.' Not sure though...

Jane

• junglemel
    9 years ago

The Jacksonville Orchid Society's Show is in March, and it's been really good the last two years I've attended. Please join the Jacksonville Orchid Society too, they're a great bunch of people! http://www.jaxorchidsociety.org/

The top 2 shows in the state are the Redlands International Orchid Show in May, and the Tamiami International Orchid Festival in January. However, up in JAX, I would go to Redlands in May and plan on staying the week to do some other fun stuff around Miami, tour the Everglades, see south florida!

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

I think finding and going to the best shows will be worthwhile. But in the long term joining your local society will give the most benefits.

• jimbo0108
    9 years ago

How funny jane I live in the same area as you...I live in North port and work in sarasota...small world

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

See you at the shows, jimbo!

Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thx everyone. Since I'm a devoted birder, i plan to combine orchid with bird watching and go to Miami in January!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jane Sarasota is 3.5 hrs away - ok, a bit more than a couple, lol,. Not much for us who are used to driving. But anyway I'm going to the Tamiami show in Jan. Was planning a birding trip to that area for this winter anyway so it works out. Thx for the help.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Bea I have gotten involved in butterflies, bees and birds. I have planted flowers which attract all the them. I also raise some butterflies inside my screened patio along with my orchids. I just released two Monarchs yesterday and am taking care of two more who are hanging from a dendrobium.

Florida and probably the rest of the country are seeing the decline of our pollinators, bees and butterflies. The use of pesticides and chemicals are the biggest cause of this decline. I have a small yard, but am amazed how many butterflies and bees visit my small flower beds. I attract birds to many of the flowers and fruiting trees. In two years of living here, I am hopeful.

I feel, 'one and all the same.' A love of gardening no matter what plants brings such satisfaction. Being a gardener up North for my whole life, I realize you take your experience no matter where you live, no matter how foreign the plants. It is fun and intriguing.

I have a Nodosa blooming on my patio right now which perfumes the air each time I open my door at night. I have a Monarch
    Chrysalis hanging from my Catt Palm right next to it.

Life is good,

Jane

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022