Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nico45ser

Encyclia Alata yellowing leaves

allymarie
10 years ago

Hi,

Yesterday I noticed my encyclia was growing over its terracotta pot so I repotted it.While repotting I broke off a piece with 5 bulbs attached and placed it on a table under my covered patio.Today I noticed the piece I broke off has yellow leaves and so does the mother plant.Yesterday the whole orchid was green.I rained alot last night but the little piece I broke off was under the covered patio and didn't get wet.The mother plant grows on a bench in the backyard so it was exposed to the rain..Can rain or moisture cause some of the leaves on the encyclia to turn yellow overnight?Any info would be appreciated.

Allymarie

Comments (10)

• terpguy
    10 years ago

How much light is it receiving? Any chance for photos? When during the day were you repotting?

Repotting has the effect of making plants sensitive to light levels until it reestablishes itself. Read: normal light levels can be temporarily too much light for the plant. What might have have happened is if
    A) they are already on the high end of their light tolerance
    B) you put them right back in its old spot
    C) it was exposed to this light for a good while

Then it's possibly too much light post-repotting.

However, this is just one theory based on scant evidence. More info on how you grow it is definitely needed.

Also, what was your low temp last night?

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Terpguy,

The mother plant gets eastern light and today was overcast with more rain.I put it back in the same spot it was in.I repotted it on my covered patio which is shaded.That encyclia is tough.I don't do anything to it.I repotted it two years ago and broke off a few bulbs to make another plant without any problems.The nights are a little cooler now but did not too cold here in So Fl.I'll try for a pic tomorrow.Thanks for your help.

Allymarie

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Terpguy, I was just thinking.My encyclia had 5 old spikes with seed pods still attached to them.The old spikes were still somewhat green.I had the dust like seeds flying every where.I cut them all off and proceed to repot the orchid.Could cutting off the spikes have something to do with the yellowing?

Allymarie

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the mother plant.

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the small piece that I broke off.

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Nope, cutting anything related to spikes will never cause yellowing.

Thanks for posting the pics, it makes a world of difference. Now that i see them, if that were happening to my plants I wouldn't worry about it. It looks pretty isolated. You made it sound like the entire plant was yellowing.

A good rule of thumb is as long as its just one or two growths - and theres no indication of pests - and it doesn't seem to be affecting the rest of the plant, ignore it. Even on your new division, its two of the growths while the others look just fine.

1) Are all the yellow leaves on older growths?
    2) Is the plant currently making new growths/roots?

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Terpguy,

Thanks for your advice.I really thought I was losing my orchid.The yellowed leaves are on the older bulbs and there is new root growth.I haven't seen any new bulbs though. I feel better now, thanks again.

Allymarie

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Terpguy,

Thanks for your advice.I really thought I was losing my orchid.The yellowed leaves are on the older bulbs and there is new root growth.I haven't seen any new bulbs though. I feel better now, thanks again.

Allymarie

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Sounds like you repotted it at the right time, that was a primary concern of mine after I saw the photos; I don't see new growths. And fall isn't exactly the typical time to repot sympodial orchids.

I would expect an Encyclia to produce a new growth first before producing roots. Unless in this case it already formed the new growths and the roots are finally emerging. As long as its producing new roots, you're good. Now, are new roots forming on the new division as well?

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Terpguy,

Both plants are growing new roots.They are a lots of small bulbs on both orchids.Thanks again Terpguy.

Allymarie