Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Aerides orchid in Los Angeles

Posted by flexdc 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 10, 11 at 14:19

Aerides and Vanda type orchids typically need hot humid conditions to thrive. I have an Aerides orchid, the roots are great, the leaves are great but won't bloom. Don't know what to do. How much heat does it need to bloom? How cold can it tolerate? I have it in a Cold/Frame house at night drops to around 50 degrees.

Thank you much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Aerides orchid in Los Angeles

I have one which I've grown and bloomed for at least 5 years, in my living room in NY. No special treatment. It grew under Phal light or lower and bloomed on and off throughout the year. My house was cool in winter, summer I grew it in a screened, bright sunroom or outside in bright shade.

BTW, I did not provide any extra humidity. It grew in normal household conditions.
Photobucket

Jane

o

Grow and bloom Vandas without difficulty, same with angreceums. No Aerides yet. Have them in a Greenhouse with night temps down to 55F. Lots of light, hanging just under the roof getting the most light possible. (Vandas that is, not the Angrecoids). They are growing bare-root and I have the watering hose parked in their area. Whenever I'm in their area, I hose them off. This may happen several times a day or once every 2 to 3 days depending on my presence. I have no hesitation to leave for the weekend and let them get dry for a maximum of 4 days but normally they get watered multiple times every day.

Nick

o

Try to increase the night time temperature by five more degrees and humidity to 80%. Does it has enough light? Show us your growing area. May be we can help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here