Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onelunalady

Causes of moth orchid not getting new leaves?

onelunalady
10 years ago

Hi,
I have had my moth orchid for around two and a half years now and it hasn't gotten any new leaves yet. It has been in bloom almost constantly with lovely white flowers, though. I use four forty watt flourescent bulbs for lighting and water once a week. Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong? Thanks.
Anna

Comments (7)

• philpet
    10 years ago

Not an expert but, it is said that when phals bloom they concentrate all their energy into it so maybe because its always blooming that's why it does not grow new leaves , although I bought a few and they have new lives in the center plus two spikes. I am sure the experts here will advise. Velleta.

• westoh Z6
    10 years ago

How close to the lights are the leaves of the phal? 4"-6" is the best. Maybe the spike is so long it can't get decent light down to the leaves?

Might have to cut the spike to get it closer to the light or see if you have a bright east window or a shaded west/south window you could use?

Good luck,

Bob

• onelunalady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,
    The lights are hung vertically and they are around 8" away from the orchid now. They were closer but I moved them a couple of inches farther away because the leaves seemed to be getting too much light. Too much light wouldn't cause no new leaves, would it? Thanks for the help everyone!
    Anna

• westoh Z6
    10 years ago

I don't think you can get too much light under 4/40's.

I'd think there are other factors involved as I've got many phals that spike and grow leaves at the same time.

Is the crown OK? (The crown is where the new leaves start from in the center of the phal).

Are the leaves turgid/firm?

If everything else looks OK, I'd probably consider cutting the spike back if I were really concerned about the lack of new leaves. Cutting the spike would cause the plant to concentrate it efforts towards more growth as opposed to supporting the spike/flowers.

Good luck,

Bob

• onelunalady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The crown and leaves look good. I guess I'll enjoy the flowers until they fade and then cut both spikes off. Thanks for all of the help!
    Anna

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Anna, believe it or not I'm not particularly worried about the fact that your plant hasn't grown leaves.

See:

Lower than adequate light would cause your plant to grow narrowed, shorter/smaller, weak, limper leaves, but wouldn't prevent it from growing.

Under no circumstances will a flower spike prevent new leaves from growing. That is unless the spike is coming up directly from the center of the crown. This happens occasionally, and does ultimately result in the death of the plant because it cannot grow anymore leaves.

Assuming your spike is not coming from the center of the crown, and the plant otherwise looks healthy, I suspect this is just a waiting game for you. Have patience. Orchid growing is anything but a sprint!

I agree with the advice to move them closer to the light. "Too much light" under weak lights such as fluorescents will result in the leaves bleaching, or turning a white color. But you won't see that under fluorescent tubes.

• onelunalady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The flower spikes aren't growing from the center of the crown. I'll move it closer to the lights and just wait for new leaves. Thanks!
    Anna