Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pembroke_gw

fertlizer for orchid

pembroke
9 years ago

have the ice-cube orchid and wondering when and how much and what kind of fertilizer to use. Thanks. Pembroke

Comments (14)

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

First of all, do not water your orchids with ice cubes. These are tropical plants and I don't think ice falls on them naturally.

I am assuming they are Phalaenopsis Orchids. Please read and learn about their culture.

Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: info about your orchid

• James _J
    9 years ago

My mother in law got on of these a few years ago. I explained to her how the plants come from warm areas and never encounter ice, how cold water would be bad for the roots and shock the plant. I showed her how the pot has no drainage and how that meant certain death for the plant.

Every time I go to her house the thing is in full bloom with multiple spikes, and huge flowers. She tells me if you want your plants to look as good as mine you should just throw some ice cubes on them.

I bite my tongue and walk away.

You could try a slow release fertilizer like Osmocote.

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

I think the idea is that with ice it's easier to measure the water. Yes it's not normal for a tropical plant but unless the company is using special effects for their advertisements it can work.

• fuzzballiscute (SF Bay Area, Ca. Us)
    9 years ago

Just like the other say, I don't think watering with ice cubes is the best idea. I water them thoroughly, making sure there is no excess water it's sitting in. I use a liquid dissoluble fertilizer 20-14-13, approximately quarter strength recommended weekly (weakly, weekly :)), no urea, for I have read that orchids don't use that type of nitrogen, and it ends up rotting roots...
    Hope this helps and happy growing

Yani

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid Care Tips: Fertilizer - Beautiful Orchids

• arthurm
    9 years ago

I have put the long thread about Urea in fertilizer in the link.

No urea fertilizer is probably fine, but if you look at the label on many types of fertilizer you will see that the three sources of Nitrogen are present.

Here is a link that might be useful: Long previous fertilizer discussion

This post was edited by arthurm on Sun, Nov 30, 14 at 2:00

• David Bostic
    6 years ago

The ice cube method works for me and I will not stop it since I have not killed it yet, so get over the idea for watering with ice. What about fertilizing the orchid or should I look elsewhere?

• arthurm2015
    6 years ago

Why have you put your question at the end of an old thread? Of course the ice thing works if you have one or two orchids...better than turning the mixture into a swamp by overwatering.

Fancy coming here and telling people to get over something.

Where are you in the world and where are you growing your Phalaenopsis?

• David Bostic
    6 years ago

I got here b/c I was searching on orchids and care. How was I to know this is an old thread? I am a long time friend of Houzz. Ohio, USA is my home. Currently it is a tropical zone. Rains every day. In six months it will be frozen here.

I thought of moving my orchid to another room with brighter light source. I have a window that is covered in Spray Snow a foam that looks like snow or frost. It lets bright diffused light. But I have a fan that blows AC air in the summer.

• arthurm2015
    6 years ago

Here is a Link to the Canadian Orchid congress notes.

Phalaenopsis notes

Might help a little bit! Be aware that culture advice varies according to where the writer lives.

The Ice watering thing mainly applies to orchids potted in sphagnum moss. It is fine as a potting material but it is slow to dry out, hence the danger of the mix turning into a swamp with over-watering.

Hope this helps!

• goldstar135
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The ice cube method works for me and I will not stop it since I have not killed it yet, so get over the idea for watering with ice.

I like to believe that the most important thing about growing orchids-and plants in general-is to grow with an open mind. If this method of watering seems to work for you, then that's fine-but you should consider other methods of growing which may be better for the long-term health of the plant.

Think about where Phalaenopsis (I'm assuming you have a Phal) originate. The majority of Phals grow in tropical forests where it is warm year-round. The rainfall they receive is likely lukewarm. They never experience any kind of water even close to being freezing-as a result their root systems aren't adapted or built to withstand frigid temperatures. I've seen many cases online where people have gotten cold damage on their root systems as a result of watering with ice cubes.

I will not stop it since I have not killed it yet,

Just because the plant has not died yet doesn't mean it won't-ice cubes can result in a slow decline. Watering with ice cubes is not nearly enough water for a healthy phal. Roots toward the bottom of the pot will not receive enough water as roots on the surface. That may result in roots desiccating in the bottom of the pot, resulting in a wobbly plant.

The Just Add Ice company, IMO, is simply aiming for their orchids to last long enough for their owners to enjoy their blooms before the plant dies. You lose the plant->buy another from JAI. Using this method also prevents flushing of the pot which can result in buildups of salt.

I'd like to suggest an alternative watering method which I think is much safer and healthier for the plant. If you have a container big enough to fit the pot the orchid is in (or if you have a decorative container that the orchid came with), fill the container with lukewarm water the next time the plant needs water. Slowly submerge the pot in the water so that the entire pot is underwater. Make sure the plant itself remains above the water. Leave the plant soaking for around one hour. Afterwards, pour the water out in the sink and let the plant drain before placing it back in its pot (or however you normally keep your orchid). This ensures that all roots get proper hydration, and also flushes out stale air from the root system. I've used this method for over a year and I've had great success with it. Fertilizing is easier as well-you simply dilute the fertilizer in the water as instructed by the fertilizer and soak the orchid in the solution. In my opinion, that's much easier than having to freeze fertilizer in ice cubes.

You can determine when to water the orchid by either looking at the roots in the pot (if they are silvery, then you can water. If they are green, then they are wet and do not need watering) or by inserting a wooden skewer/chopstick in the pot. When you are considering whether to not to water, take the wooden skewer out and press it against your cheek. If it feels moist, withhold watering for another day or two. If it feels dry, water. When in doubt, withhold watering for maybe another day. Phals can withstand dryness a lot longer than they can withstand overwatering.

You can still use ice cubes when watering-just soak the orchid like I described above, then place the ice cubes in a glass of water or other beverage and enjoy a drink :)

• David Bostic
    6 years ago

The potting medium is bark chunks, I think.

My first one died and I think it was from over watering but they replaced it at no charge. This one is putting out new leaves and are perky. I am looking forward to new flowers.

I am sorry if i PO-ed some of you. A friend died recently. He kept going back to his drug. It claimed his life.

At any rate thank you to those who encouraged me.

• arthurm2015
    6 years ago

I have one of those Phalaenopsis planted in Sphagnum moss. It has been watered 3 times in 9 weeks since purchase. I am waiting till spring for a repot.

Still fiddling about trying to find an optimum potting mix. At the local orchid society here in the sub-tropics Phalaenopsis are regarded as difficult.

Anyway, "putting out new leaves and are perky" sounds promising.

If I had a fridge that made ice-blocks I'd run a trial with some ice blocks on a Phalaenopsis to see if it works or not.......

• Danielle Rose
    6 years ago

Here in the Northeastern USA, they are considered no-brainer orchids, once you understand what they like. We lack the one thing phals love and need: humidity. This is easily remedied by planting in bark and deeply soaking that bark when it's dry (maybe every 4-7 days). In between, the bark slowly dries out, and the roots enjoy the airy, humid environment provided, without extra water suffocating them, or the possible rot factor of soggy moss (usually the death knell in these parts). Doing things like spraying the pot or putting ice on the plant does not allow the bark to absorb water the way that soaking the pot or running water through it at the sink does ... and that's the part that the plant really loves.

I struggle to figure out what my other orchids need (dendrobiums, ugh), but I take comfort in the phals. At any given time throughout the year, at least two of the nine on my shelf are in spike for me, with really minimal effort (see the three spikes below ... two others are not visible yet).

Can you keep an orchid alive other ways? Sure, especially if you're vigilant about the state of the sphagnum (or your environment is so dry that sphag is your only choice). Will they like it, and bloom, and thrive? In my experience, no.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor