Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanie51

Phal's spike may be?

tanie51
10 years ago

Would you expert in orchids tell me this is a spike or a root please? I have been watching this phal, Sine June I have it from someone just about to chuck it out and I took it home. It gave me 6 roots and 4 leaves. This time this little tiny green thing comes out and it does not look like the other roots before. I hope this is a spike. My hope is very high but if you say it's a root, okay, I'll keep on waiting..Thank you!

Tanie

Comments (94)

• westoh Z6
    10 years ago

Tanie,

Almost any fertilizer with the same 3 numbers (3-3-3, 10-10-10, etc...) would be OK. Just use 1/2 the recommended strength on the label. Just be sure it can be used on ornamentals/roses/etc...

Bob

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Bob got it. But if I may amend a little bit, diluting by half is really only necessary if you have a strong formulation such as MiracleGro 20-20-20. Diluting it in half makes it a 10-10-10 formulation. So if you already have a 10-10-10 or something close to it there is no need to dilute further.

Though I'll be the first to admit I never dilute my miracle gro. Maybe not the best practice but my plants aren't harmed by it.

• westoh Z6
    10 years ago

terp,

If I'm using MSU I go full strength and when I use the liquid MG with the hose attachment in summers, they get it at that strength also. I do reduce when I use anything else though. I'm adding a seaweed extract to things this winter, it will be added at 1/2 strength or less initially.

Question: Would the lower #'ed ferts already have suggestions/package instructions to use more than the higher #'ed ones?

Thanks,

Bob

• terpguy
    10 years ago

No they won't. It's really more of a common sense thing.

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

Here's an update on mine. Growing a little slower lately. What about you guys?

Jason

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just little bit over an inch for mine!

Tanie

• thedogsLL
    10 years ago

Just a little over 2" - I turned it around to take the photo. It's usually on the window side. Tanie, I don't know the size of your phal or the pot, but that looks longer than an inch to me!

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi ThedogsLL, I didn't post picture of my spike but since you said that, I just measured it right now and it is exact 1.5". I have a question about the light. I saw either Weston or Bob or some of you said that the lights have to be as close as 6" to 12" or something like that. I just went and got an octopus lamp and I think they are a bit too high up. I saw Jane's octopus lamp are right over the leaves. My lamp is if I measure from the light to the top of the leaves, it is about 4-7" but if I measure from the lights to the base of the plants is about 16-18". Could you please tell me would that be okay or it is too far? Another question is that my Nellie is in full bloom. (I bought it just last month). Would it be okay for it to be under the light or should I move it to somewhere else? Thank you!

Tanie

• westoh Z6
    10 years ago

Tanie,

Generally measured from the top of leaves. If you are using the spiral bulbs (CFL's), your distances are probably fine. What wattage were the bulbs?

Once you get longer spikes, you have to be "inventive" with the positioning.

Bob

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got 60W and octopus lamp has 5 lights. I bent them down as close as I can. They are all the same size so I spread them out over the orchid table. I will take a picture on the weekend and post it so you will have an idea. Now, I leave to work when it dark, come home when it dark.... Weekend will be good time to take pictures. I still need you to help me answer the question about my Burr Nelly, should I leave it there with the lights or should I move it somewhere more natural bright instead?

Thank you Bob!

Tanie

• thedogsLL
    10 years ago

Tanie, (and Jason) - I do apologize - I didn't notice the dividing line between your post and Jason's. I thought that last image was Tanies. OOPS on my part.
    Since I only have the one phal, I don't have supplemental light. What it gets is from the window behind it.
    I thought about picking up some "regular" fertilizer, but it's doing fine on what I'm doing so far, so I think I'll let it go on and see what happens. Might work, might not, so we'll see. :)

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Bob & Jane, I just took a couple of pictures of the lamp eventhough it's dark but you can see what the distance between the lights and the plants and please tell me if that is okay. If not, I will raise the table up a couple of inches.

Thank you,

Tanie

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another picture.

• westoh Z6
    10 years ago

Distances look fine to me... I'm assuming you got 60 watt equivalents, they will work but look for the 100-120 equivalents when they need replaced. I think those (100-120 watt equivs) are 23-27 watts as far as the CFL wattage rating. It gets confusing.

Just to add more confusion :-), I actually look at the # of lumens produced, the more the better. You can find the lumens on the packaging.

Bob

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Bob, Yes, they are 60W. These bulbs take at least 5 years to burn out unless since I leave them on for 12-16 hours/d would make different.

Tanie

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I exchanged the bulbs to 100W and found another kind or orchid liquid plant food which is 15-5-5. I couldn't find anything with equal # except for general house plants. Is this okay? and should I still use only 1/2 strength? Thank you in advance.

Tanie

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Tannie, you can use any fertilizer, it doesn't have to say 'orchid'.
    Congrats on your lights, they look great and I bet you will have beautiful flowers. Watch your spike that it doesn't get too close to the bulbs, you don't want it to get too hot.

Great job!

Jane

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Jane, now I have another question. I just found this little tiny green thing coming out next to the new leave of the same phal that is spiking. It doesn't look like a leaf because I saw new leaf came from the top like this would be flat. This is kind of round and it coming quite quickly compare with spike in the bottom of all these leaves. Would root come out from the top? I am so curious. Would any of you experienced can identify this thing. I guess I can wait but I am too anxious to wait. Thank you,

Tanie

{{!gwi}}

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For some reason, last post picture didn't come through.

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

It could be another spike

Jason

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Really! that is too good to be true! That would be DOUBLE HAPPINESS!

But I am not letting myself too excited yet. Does spike grow on top of the plant? I thought spikes only grow in between the leaves.

tanie

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

Tanie, I'm not sure if the spikes can grow from the top or not. Does it look to be the same shape as the other spike was when it firs emerged?(shaped kind of like a mitten)

Jason

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Spikes can grow from the very top. Problem is that it spells doom for the plant. The reason is because it indicates the lead growig point (meristem) has converted from a foliage meristem to a flowering meristem. So new leaves cannot grow. Often a basal keiki can form (depending on the species behind the hybrid). So you get the plant back but it takes a few years.

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank You Terp! Okay then, whatever it is, it is! Did I do anything to make spike grow like that or it does it own thing? If I did something to make it grow like that, would you tell me so I know and won't do it any more. I like flowers but if the flowers will prevent further growth and bloom then that's not too good.
    Jason, it is too small yet for me to see. I will have to wait for another week or at least few more days to see it more clearly. I have another question about the lamp. I hope Jane or Bob or any of you can help me out. I just got the octopus lamp as you can see it the couple of posts before this one. I turn it on around 8 pm, and turn it off around 7:30 or 8 next morning. Now my other friend told me that I should let the plants in the dark at night and keep light on during the day instead. What I thought was turn the light at night in addition to the not enough light at day. So, would you please tell me how to do this? Thank you.

Tanie

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Tanie, the plant is doing its own thing. Nothing you can do about it.

Re: your light timing, give it darkness. Plants are naturally adapted to and require a dark spell for proper metabolism. As you begin to explore other genera, you discover that many actually require the darkness in order to bloom (unifoliate Cattleyas come to mind, as well as short day Phalaenopsis type Dendrobiums).

Follow nature on this. Keep the lights on only during the day, let them go off at night. What you are thinking of, using extended length of time of artificial light to supplement inadequate lighting, only works to a point before you start negatively impacting the plants metabolism and natural circadian rhythms, thus potentially negatively affecting the growth and health of the plant. A good rule of thumb would be no more than 16 hours of light per day, preferably shorter during the winter.

A timer is your friend on this and makes your life much easier!

The plants on my light cart are currently on a timer for 11 hours of light per day with 200W equivalent CFLs.

This post was edited by terpguy on Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 22:18

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much Terp!

I have so much to learn and it's so good to have you all help me when I need it. Sometime I tried to be independent searching on Internet and all that but still this forum is best resource for me.

Jason,

How is your orchid's spike? I imagine it might be over 3 or 4"? Mine is about 2". I still don't know how it will come out under whole bunch of leaves. I hope the lamp light will draw it upward and find the way out. Poor thing, looks like it bending its back all the time.

• westoh Z6
    10 years ago

Tannie,

I'm a little more 'hard-driving' than terp as my lights run from 5:45AM to 9:45PM most of the year, cut back to 12 hours for about 4-6 weeks in the fall... They must have the dark period. As terp said, follow nature.

Bob

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Bob. Will get a timer today! Wish you all have a great day!

Tanie

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I always gave mine 18hrs in winter. My Phals went out for the summer and when they came in they were already spiking. As were the dends. The plants growing by the large windows got about 7hrs of light from the lamps. I had the timer set to turn on at sunset and run until about midnight.

The plants growing in the room without natural daylight got 18hrs from the lamps. Again, they were already spiking. I did not find any detriment by running the lamps for 18hrs. The lamps are supplementing the lack of sunlight and they are not strong enough to do that unless you extend the light time-length.

You can judge by the growth of the spikes. The more light the faster the spike grows. If the light is too weak, it could stall. You also need to make sure the room is warm enough.

I would not run the lights all night. Everything needs to sleep!

Jane

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Terp is right. You are probably getting a keiki. The plant might have been stressed or in bad shape and is making a baby plant. This can happen and its better than having the plant die and producing nothing. You can just let it grow.

Jane

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

Tanie, Mine has been growing very fast. Over 6" already.
    I don't know what I did to make it grow so fast. Do you mind posting a picture of yours? I'd like to see what it looks like.

Jason

• thedogsLL
    10 years ago

Nice! Mine is about 3" now. Is there a certain point where I should put the support and clips back on? I think it's too short just yet, but I don't want to risk breaking it either.

Lynn

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Jason,

Mine is nothing like yours at all. It's also hard to take a picture because I have to take from underneath the leaves or turn it up-side-down. I'll do it on the weekend if you REALLY want to see it.
    Thank you for posting yours picture.

Tanie

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Jason and all,

Here is my spike update as today.

Tanie

• thedogsLL
    10 years ago

Wow, Tanie! I see what you mean now! But I think it'll be fine. My daughter is here from IN, for Christmas, and she's got a few orchids. I showed her your photo, and she said she's had two do the same thing, and she also pointed out the little sprout on the left side. She says it may turn out to be a double spike! The curved one should grow out from under the leaf, and keep going.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! is it unusual or what ThedogsLL?, if it is a double spike, and then another spike on the top, (I know the one on top is a spike now because it shows as a shape of a mitten). I hope it will stay alive for me after all this spikes bearing. Thank you for letting me know.

Tanie.

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

Here's an update on mine. How is everyone else doing?

• thedogsLL
    10 years ago

A little bit longer, now about 4". I did decide to change to a regular fertilizer so I'd know exactly what's in it.

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are mine. The one under all the leaves is starting to see "I think I'm out of the tunnel!" and starts to turn it's head out as you can see here. The one of top of the plant is doing fine and growing!

Tanie

• thedogsLL
    10 years ago

LOL! Tanie, that is so cute! It's like - peeking out from under the leaf. I bet it'll start growing faster now, too. It's a race to the finish!

Lynn

• NewGirlinNorCal
    10 years ago

I just wanted to post a note here that this thread is one of the most encouraging & informative things I have read about Phal orchids.

I'm in year 2 of my orchid ownership adventure and I've yet to have a single bloom*- and now I know why! They're clearly the happiest silly plants I've ever seen because they keep throwing out leaves and roots like it's a game. I must have put them in too big a pot!

Anyway I just wanted to thank everyone whose contributed to this!

*I had a spike and then the cats knocked the plant over and it broke off and a keikei grew on the nub and then the whole thing died. Very depressing, not worth thinking about.

• thedogsLL
    10 years ago

Oh, that's just awful! If my cat did that, she just might get, well, into trouble.

I also am really new to orchids. I have only one, but have to admit that tomorrow I will triple that number. Home Depot sent me a coupon for a BOGO on orchids. They only have phals, so I'm going to pick, to the best of my ability, the best two on the shelf, and see what happens. If nothing else, it will give me something to do with the rest of the bag of orchid bark I bought for the first one. :) From what I've seen, they are massively packed into tiny pots with tight moss. I totally get into rescue, you know, hehe.

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Lynn,

Where do you get the coupon for orchids? I was there couple of days ago, they had some on sale but still 13.99. And Jane, they have octopus lamps there now too the same kind I got for $19.99. I'm going there to pick one up tomorrow. Don't know where to use it yet but for that price, I'm going to stock up....

Tanie,

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Good idea, Tanie. I used the lights for other orchids too. Maybe its time for you to try a few new varieties! The lights work great even on dirt plants.

I had 4 Plumerias which I grew outside each summer. They were in large pots. Some would begin to bud just as the weather was getting cold. I'd bring the big pots inside and stick them under the octopus lights and they would continue to flower.

I also used them to finish spikes on Dends which would begin to spike in Sept. but needed more light to grow the spike. The lamps were good supplements to the window light.

Buy a bunch!

Jane

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Jane,

I never had orchid outside in my yard but planned to have a few this spring coming. I have spot in the corner of my fence and garage where too shady for my roses. ( I mean no direct sun light) Do you think I can have a couple of orchids there? and if I can, would you advice me what kind? I can't wait for spring!

Tanie

• thedogsLL
    10 years ago

Tanie, you have to join Home Depot's Garden Club to get the coupons. They send different ones through the year. Summer 2012 I got one for buy two hostas, get one free. I don't know if they will still send one if you join now or not - but if you want to try, the link is below. I think. I've never added a link to GW, so I hope it works. We'll see.

I added two new phals today. I got some photos before they drop the buds. It isn't very cold out today, so I'm hoping they won't, but they had to ride in my Jeep for a couple of hours. If they do it's okay. The roots and leaves are really healthy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot Garden Club

• thedogsLL
    10 years ago

Yaaayyyy!! The link worked!

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Lynn!

Tanie

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

BUDS!!!!!!!

• Dolores Murdico
    8 years ago

this is dolom518, I'm confused, All this time when I saw new babies on my phil. I thought they were roots growing. I have just ignored them. What do I do when I have that and how long do you let them grow. Do you have to cut them off and replant them etc. I'm totally in the dark about this now.. Otherwise, my phil., den. and cat are doing well. I'm like to get bigger flowers on my cat, but I'm satisfied with the smaller ones. Thanks for your help.