Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reed stem epi propagation

Posted by ken_ny Z10FL (kenr64@comcast.net) on
Tue, Nov 2, 10 at 16:15

bought a reed stem epi (radicans?) growing in mostly soil at the spring Tamiani show. It bloomed up a storm all spring & summer and into fall (still has a few straggler blooms). Now it is producing tons of keikis. I tried mounting a few on cork a few months ago. They seem to be struggling to survive. I just plucked a bunch to experiment with. I am thinking of putting some in pots with hydroton and others in a open cedar basket with some tree fern chunks as filler. Has anyone had luck getting epi keikis started?

http://www.orchidboard.com/community/gallery/data/1495/medium/epi21.JPG

http://www.orchidboard.com/community/gallery/data/1495/medium/epi5.JPG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reed stem epi propagation

Ken

I stuck the epi's in the soil and mulch- they are growing like weeds.
I tried the same with Vanda and vandopsis- good results, they are deep rooted now. Happily growing- so I am not going to put them in baskets. So far I have not had trouble with snail or slugs chewing up the leaves.

o

The Epi will make keikis in the spring.

Nick

o

I too grow many epi keiki in hydroton. Once they have formed roots (usually after one year outside)I grow them in part bark and pumice.
Ken, what kind of soil and mulch combination are you using?

Helga

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here