Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wish-List Crosses....Have They Ever Been Done???

Posted by BronxFigs Zone-7 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 12, 11 at 16:39

I would like to ask the members of this forum a few questions about orchids that I can never locate...if they exist at all, for that matter:

Does anyone know of US growers/hybridizers who can supply named, "RICHARD MUELLER"-type, primary-hybrids using:
Brassavola nodosa X L.harpohylla/L.flava/L.kautskyii/L.cinnabarinum,...etc. (pick one).
I'm looking for a plant with solid gold-orange, solid yellow, harpophylla-type flowers growing from single leaf, terete, nodosa-type foliage, and NO pseudobulbs. Just a single, fat, thick leaf growing from a short stem/or, even from no stem. In other words, a nodosa-type plant that makes a Laelia-type flower and color. I'm not interested in crosses using any catts. or Laelias that resemble catts...nor any crosses that do not produce thick, single-leaf foliage. Does this type of plant exist?

What about Encyclia mariae on B. nodosa, or E. mariae on any red-orange-yellow terete-leaved Laelia?

Just asking, just wondering.

Thanks for any answers.

Frank

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wish-List Crosses....Have They Ever Been Done???

The problem might be that no one worries too much about the foliage, judging standards are all about blooms. One that might meet your criteria is Potinara Hoko Gem 'Freckles'. Certainly does re. the foliage, but some spots might rule it out.

Here is a pic. of a very desirable species with No pseudobulbs. But alas the colour is not as required.
Brassavola cucullata

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here