Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brassidium Shooting Star Black Gold

Posted by lisabc NM Z5 HeatZn5 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 16:40

I just bought a Brassidium Shooting Star Black Gold orchid. I am seeing conflicting information on the internet about how much light it needs to grow and bloom. Could I put it in a south window for the winter or would that be too much light for it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brassidium Shooting Star Black Gold

Where has everyone gone?
At latitude 34 South Brassidium Shooting Star 'Black Gold' would be grown high up near the shade-cloth getting all day sun filtered by 50% shade-cloth winter and two layers 50% shade-cloth summer.
Sorry, thats the best i can do but note that some of the Brassia species need a lot of light to flower.

o

Here in Michigan my brassia crosses can take full south winter sun (when we get sun at all)- but I think it may be a bit much at your latitude. Maybe set them a bit back from the window, or provide a bit of cover with shade cloth as suggested by Arthur.

o

• Posted by lisabc NM Z5 HeatZn5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 21, 11 at 16:12

I have it about 2 feet from my south-facing sliding glass door, but it is behind one row of tall plants. I'll see how it goes for a couple of weeks, then creep it closer to the window, watching the leaves for burn. Does that sound good?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here