Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should these new phals be repotted?

Posted by philpet none (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 16:41

Hi all so I got a few new phals. They came in clear plastic pot, I added the holes for more air their root systems look really healthy when I bought them they were dry and the roots were silvery so I watered and all the roots turn green. My concern is that they are in moss with stones at the bottom so I am afraid of them rotting. Should I repot them to bark mix or wait until after they bloom but carefully watch my watering. They have a few open flowers but lots of buds some even have two spikes. I will post a pic of their flowers and foilage below. Velleta

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should these new phals be repotted?

So this is what their blooms and foilage looks like. It also looks as if this is the first time they are blooming. VELLETA.

o

Hi Velleta,

Your new phals are gorgeous! I'm no expert but maybe you should hold off with the repotting until the orchids are finished blooming.You can decrease watering since they are potted in sphagnum and monitor the roots through the clear plastic pots and do the heft test to see if they really need watering.Did you drill the holes with a drill?

Allymarie

o

Thanks Allymarie :). To put the holes in I heated a screwdriver on my stove and carefully put the holes where there was no roots and I really love that they came in clear pots too so I can see when the roots go bk to being silvery before watering. That is what I though to wait until after blooming. But I wanted to be sure so I ask my family here. Thanks again VELLETA.

o

Thanks for trick on drilling holes. And me too, want to say that your phals are very beautiful and I like the mixture of many colors.

Tanie

o

Thank you Velleta.Again your orchids are beautiful, enjoy their beauty.

Allymarie

o

Thank you Tanie, and your both welcome. Velleta

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here