Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msg1_gw

Water dilemma

MSG1
9 years ago

Recently got an RO unit---Aqua pure APRO5500 for our orchids. Typcially water with our tap (TDS about 287 ppm with quite a bit of Calcium--10,76 gpg as Ca CO3) and then flush with RO. Trouble is we just redid a bathroom and the water is wrecking the grout ---I am last out of shower so squeegy all the areas and then sponge it down but still is a problem.
If we add a water softener I can bypass the sink we use but the hot water will still be softened and the TDS will be higher--I can use Kcl instead of Nacl (or mix as the Lcl is more expensive I hear) in the softener if that is better. I wonder if we flush with RO if that will be OK?

I store a couple 2 gal paint sprayers worth of RO water too but even with that and the about 2 gal storage
ther is not enough RO water. So it is OK to use the partially softened water? We mostly have Phrags/Paphs and a few Phals/dendrobiums and a couple others. The tap will obviously be too cold if I don't use a bit of the softened hot. I can measure the TDS--cut off?
Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments (2)