Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any ideas what this is?

Posted by vtandrea z4 VT (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 4, 11 at 18:02

This noid orchid formed a bud about a month ago and finally opened into this beauty. I have no idea what it is, but thought it was in the cattleya family when I got it. Do any of you know what type of orchid it is, if not the name? Thanks in advance.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any ideas what this is?

No ideas??? Is this posted in the wrong place?

o

From the looks of the flower I would guess it's in the cattleya family, but it would be good if you could show a picture of the entire plant.

o

It's a hybrid cattleya.

Brooke

o

Yep some type of cattleya cross. Probably a "mini-cat" splash type.There are so many that are so similar, nobody could really come up with a name.gb

o

This looks like a Laelia x Cattleya. There are many such crosses. Here is an example that is similar to yours.

Lc. Mari's Song 'CTM217' x Lc. Hsinying Pub 'Albo Sanguinea'

o

It's really hard to identify an orchid by a picture. Lots of crosses can look very similar. If it's a small bloom, it may be a mini-catt, which means it will do well under lights and will most likely bloom more than once a year. It's very pretty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here