Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oncidium Twinkle Dying?

Posted by ryanstiner MI (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 11, 10 at 18:10

I need help. New to orchids. Bought an oncidium twinkle for the wife while it was flowering. Now all of the stems and buds and leaves have yellowed and fallen off. Kinda figured it was part of the lifecycle, but now one of the pseudobulbs is shriveling and yellowed, and another is plump, but yellowed. Is this thing totally dying? Sorry if this is elsewhere in the forums ... i poked around google results for a bit and ended up here.

Please Help!
Thanks!
/ryan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oncidium Twinkle Dying?

It is ok for orchids to lose their flower spikes after they are done flowering. However, when all the leaves start falling off, then something's wrong. How are you growing the plant (like watering, temperature, light, etc)? Without your growing conditions, I cannot tell for sure, but I can make a guess and say that your orchid has root rot. Without roots, the plant cannot take in water, and thus becomes dehydrated (shriveled). If this goes too far, then the leaves start falling off. Can you check the roots? If they are firm, that's good, if they are mushy and hollow, then that's root rot.

Here is a link that might be useful: AOS oncidium culture sheet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here