Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanie51

Need help for my Dendro please!

tanie51
10 years ago

Though I watch my orchids every day but just now, I found these spots and burned? on my orchid leaves, would you the orchid experts tell me what is happening to the dendro and should I worry and do something about it. Beside those spots and burn, I thought the plant looks healthy to me. But I rather be over cautious then be sorry later.
Here are a couple of pictures so you can determine what that is and help me out. Thank you!

Tanie

Comments (14)

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A bit more information. I keep this guy in a room that east facing window and it has direct sunlight about 1/2hr. in the morning. It's warm during the day but I close the vent and open window at night so it will get some cool air. As you can see, below the big leaf with burned is a pretty looking new shoot, and on the other side is another baby shoot coming nicely. I thought! Here's another pictures of spot on the other leaf.

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pix of another leaf.

I really hope you can help.

thank you,

Tanie

• arthurm
    10 years ago

Does it have a name tag?

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Arthum,
    The tag came with it says "Dendrobium", in the back says "Grown by Matsui Nursery, Salinas, CA. and the instruction says that early and late afternoon direct sunlight is okay. That it likes very bright filtered light but this time of the year, there's not a lot of sun except for around 10:30 to 11 in the morning. So, I don't filter the sun.
    Hope that infor will help you to help me to help it!!

Thank you,

Tanie

• arthurm
    10 years ago

It is probably a "warm growing hard cane Dendrobium" of some sort. Needs warmth, moderate humidity and good light throughout the year to do well. Needs a slight fall in temps in autumn and to be kept slightly drier in winter.
    Hard to say exactly, but be very wary of culture notes written for nobile/softcane types of Dendrobium.
    There are thousands of Dendrobium species that come from many different climates so that makes an id on the plant shape difficult.
    The damage looks like mechanical damage and i wouldn't worry about it, also the plant is slightly over-potted, but do not worry about that either (wrong time of year to fiddle) keep on doing your growing routine and see what happens when the new growths mature.

Here is a link that might be useful: Past thread on this subject

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

I don't like the sphagnum. It holds water too long. I use lava rock and water every day. They need to get wet but dry by the end of the day. I've had rot problems with sphagnum. But I like to water frequently.

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is hard to belief it but I found this sphanum moss in this particular pot and in particular room dry up very quickly. The rest of the house also. I think may be cause we have such a dry climate over here. In summer time, I watered this pot sometime I left it for about 30 to 40 days before it really dry out but this time. within a week it dry completely. But I planned to repot them next spring. By then I'll need your advise as to what medium to pot them in. Last night, I put some cinnamon on those spots and hopefully it will accept that for me. Thank you very much for all your help.

Tanie

• arthurm
    10 years ago

Here are some local notes written for Canada that may assist. I do not use Sphagnum either but it might be fine for Canadian conditions.
    Love the easy to grow bit. Not easy to grow at all (here).

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian Orchid Congress Notes

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

I use LFSM and perlite for my dens. When dry I water. Right now once a week to week and a half. Works out really well.

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Tanie, how long have you owned this plant? And how long have you been growing it in moss?

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Terpguy and all, and to Arthum for the link

I have this plant since May. May daughter gave it to me for Mother's Day. It was in bloom when I got it. The flowers lasted very long. I think the last one fell off sometime in mid August. After that, I repot it in this pot with sphanum moss as you see. It came in a very tiny pot and all the root were sticking out of so I repoted it.Let's see if I can find the picture of it when it was full bloom so you can have an idea which kind of dendro and may be you can help.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

It matters a lot where each of us live. And even then I have successful neighbors grow them very different then me. Orchids have many paths to success!

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Tanie, I'm hesitant to draw any conclusions on the medium you're using because you say it works for you so far. But you haven't had it for even close to a year yet so you don't know how your plant will react to winter in that medium. Please keep a strong eye on it. Most people across the US cannot grow dendrobium in moss. Have yet to meet someone who can do it.

But like I said, it seems to be drying out at a good clip which is the main point so I'm not prepared to say its a bad way to grow it. Just watch it :)

And I'm surprised nobody has said anything but half an hour of direct sunlight is nowhere near adequate for this plant. You definitely need to supplement that poor thing.

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank for your advise Terpguy, I'll keep my eyes on it and will report to you all if there's anything changed. Beside this situation, I don't know what else I can do for it. Should I leave the light on in that room? for few hours or all day? As I said, this is my first year I am trying out some of the orchids to see which one will live and flourish in my home.

Tanie