Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ron_tacoma

ice and Phals

ron_tacoma
13 years ago

I had posted the first week in October that I was taking 4 phals and going to try the 3 ice cube method. Last Saturday I was getting ready to put my 3 ice cubes in place and noticed that two of my Phals have spikes. They are about 2 inches tall. The other two don't show anything but they are younger plants. Which might have something to do with it. I have trouble posting photos on this forum but I will post on the photo gallery. You will see by the photos that the roots look good, and the leaves look good, and they are going into spike.

Comments (11)

• ron_tacoma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sorry guys cann't get the photos in. I will have to wait for my son to come up next week. He is the computer wiz, not me. But I will try again later when I have more time.

• elvis
    13 years ago

Ice cubes? Never did THAT. Whatever you have been doing seems to be working. If it ain't broke...

• ron_tacoma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

elvis----Last month there were a bunch of postings on the forum. Subject: "Phals under ice" they even referenced a web site. I tried it with 4 plants Just to see what would happen, and I am getting some response. I am not sure if this is the right thing to do but I was willing to try it. I am still having problems posting photos but I am trying. My spikes must be two inches tall.

• ifraser25
    13 years ago

I followed the previous posting and whilst it does seem kind of perverse, it is possible for ice to occur naturally in the tropics- as hail during heavy thunderstorms. Paradoxically this occurs most often during the "summer" when the storms are at their biggest. I have seen the ground covered completely white by this phenomenon, which of course only lasts for a couple of minutes.

• ron_tacoma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ifraser25--I looked at your "My Page" and was able to email you the photos I took. I am not defending nor pormoting this method. I still have my doubts. But I had to try it.

• elvis
    13 years ago

Hmmm. What is the ice supposed to do, besides melt?

• User
    13 years ago

You got it...melt! Adding a set number of ice cubes at a predetermined interval is a method of watering phals. This method is used by those who are otherwise unable to determine when to water on an "as needed" basis. The goal is to prevent overwatering.

• ron_tacoma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The two that spiked out are now 6 inches tall. the other two have not shown a thing. I am not sure if it was the ice that did it. Or they were just ready to spike out. I also have a couple of other Phals that are spiking and not being treaded by ice. Like I said it just might be that they were ready to start flowering.

• smwboxer
    13 years ago

Pretty much any of the commonly sold phal. hybrids should be spiking about now. It's that time of year for them.

• elvis
    13 years ago

Ya, smwboxer, we're got spikage up here in Wisconsin...

But my guys do that year 'round. It must be the room they're in.

• ron_tacoma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The flowering season for most Phals is Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, sonme into Sep. There are some Philippine species that flower Feb, Mar, Apr. If you email me I will send you the culture info.