Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cj_speciosa

Stalled spike

cj_speciosa
10 years ago

I have another phal that was starting to spike, but since I've brought it inside, it seems to have stalled out. I can see it breaking through the skin, but it hasn't moved in weeks.

I've started putting it out in the garage at night to drop the temp hoping to get it going again. Any ideas as to how and if this thing will make the final push through.

The other phal I have that is spiking, the spike is growing VERY quickly. Faster then anything I've ever seen grow on an orchid.

Even my oncidiums are spiking! Very excited.

Comments (25)

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of it.

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Are you sure it's a spike? Splitting the side of the leaf like that, it's *usually* a root. And roots do stall out. I'm pressed to recall a time I've seen a low phal spike stall for weeks.

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Low"?? It's actually under the second leaf from the top Terp...Not like you can tell from the pic, but it's at the top of the plant.....I'll get a better shot......

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You can make out the spike under the blue pointer to the right. It's actually in the same spot as the spike on my other phal, and it spilt the side of the leaf the same way.....And yes, I'm pretty sure it's a spike. You can tell by the way it's split....it looks like the top of a mitten coming out, as opposed to the roots which have a smooth surface.

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Low spike refers to not far along.

Assuming it is a spike (which I'm not yet convinced but I'm only looking at 2D photos of a small unemerged structure so I will take your word for it since you can see it better than I) I think you just need to give it time, especially if you changed its environment recently. Not much you can really do about it but wait.

This post was edited by terpguy on Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 21:06

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Should I still keep lowering the temp at night? Reason I'm asking is I have a smaller phal which is throwing out a spike without me doing anything different at all.....

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Nope. The lowering just forces it to create the spike, not grow it out. Just give it time. I wouldn't have expected it to be in bloom until January anyways

• parodise
    10 years ago

CJ-Speciosa,
    i'd go along with your guess it's a spike, at least looks very much like one to me. Yes, I noticed on a number of ocassions that a spike that has become visible but still is very small can sit like that for quite some time, but only if the growing conditions are subpar.
    Do you keep your phals same as your oncidiums? I'd guess there's really no need to put your phals in the garage to get the spikes going - i see the plant in the pic has quite a few blackish spots/areas - might it be due to the combination of too low temps and maybe excessive humidity?
    My plants stay on the windowsill (eastern/southern/south-western exposure) all year round. In summer they get plenty of sun and water, come fall, I cut down on watering and let the temps in the apartment cool naturally, keep them relatively cool and dry till frosty weather sets in and then turn up the heating and resume regular watering, normally by that time the phals will have a lot of spikes on the ready. All my phals have bloomed for me profusely for years now.

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your input Paradise. As you can see, that plant has a ton of roots. What is coming out of the top of the plant is most definitely a spike. I can see the obvious difference between the two.

Those black spots are sunburn. I'm relatively new to orchids and was a bit hasty in putting them outside this spring. I put them in a spot that had WAY too much sun exposure and they fried.....literally. They aren't the nicest looking plants anymore....that's for sure.

I'll be happier when they grow out all of those burned and beat up leaves. Now that I have a better handle on what I'm doing,
    And yes, I keep all of my orchids on or near a southern facing window sill all year.

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just the phals....

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So what you guys are saying makes alot of sense. I'm going to stop bringing the stalled spike plant into the garage at night and just let it settle in inside. It should force it out.

Paradise: How many spikes do your phals put out per plant? More then one?

• terpguy
    10 years ago

"I'll be happier when they grow out all of those burned and beat up leaves. "

I've said it on another thread and I'll say it here: I've given up on attractive plants. Orchid leaves just aren't very attractive. Especially when you grow them outside for part of the year. Trying to get those perfect leaves is just too much of a hassle. As long as it continues to grow and bloom, I don't care what it looks like :)

• parodise
    10 years ago

I normally get about 2-3 spikes on my monster white phals that grow like crazy and 1-2 spikes on more modest specimens. The number of spikes, i have noticed, really depends on the number of leaves that the plant manages to grow - I know i can count on a spike once the plant has grown 4 leaves, unless there have been some dormant "spike spots" further down the stem, that the plant hasn't produced in due time. The can start growing at some point later, sometimes even at the base of a larger plant having produced multiple spikes closer to the top... Go figure...

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah Terp....I noticed that the bugs really like to have at those leaves. Not sure what does it, but they definitely get chomps taken out of them.

I'm with you though, as long as they keep growing AND bloom, i'll be happy.

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys have any oncids? Here is one I got last year at a show that smelled like chocolate. It's starting to spike as well.....You can see one down on the lower left and the one up above it to the right.

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another angle.

• parodise
    10 years ago

CJ-Speciosa, your orchids in the general pic look great and healthy for sure. I asked about the black spots because I thought those could have been the result of some kind of rot. Glad that wasn't the case!

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Parodise. I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. And while it's no big deal for more experienced people on this board, to have all of these start spiking is exciting to me.

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Nope, spots no big deal :)

That must be Sharry Baby. I'm a fan.

The only oncidium I have currently is a Sharry Baby. It's a sad, pathetic two bulb rescue I got from a local garden center at half off, hoping to be able to rescue it. Its got a single new growth but that growth hasn't really done anything. It held steady for a few months after purchase, and started a new growth, but the new growth has stalled and the old growth has begun declining further. It might not make it.

• allymarie
    10 years ago

What a beautiful looking calathea you have in the background CJ.It' just gorgeous!

Allymarie

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow....this thread is all over the place....lol.

Thanks Ally. It's my most prized specimen, for sure. My absolute favorite.

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

I had a spike stall out on me at almost exactly the same point: broke through the leaf, then stopped. About two weeks later, another spike came out on the other side, and never once slowed down. If that spike hasn't shown any growth for longer than a week, my guess is it's finished. :(

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope that's not the case....I'm keeping my fingers crossed. That would mean my biggest Phal won't be producing any flowers at all.......

• shootemliz
    10 years ago

CJ what is the potting media you are using for the oncidium orchid and also what media is the calathea in (nice plants by the way). I just purchase two moth orchids today from Lowes off the clearance rack. Wish me luck...

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For my oncidiums it's fir bark fines mixed with pine bark from Petco (for reptile cages)

The Cal is just in regular bagged potting soil. Nothing special.