Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fly_gal

Advice for a new Phal owner

fly_gal
9 years ago

Hello!!! I am apologizing in advance for this long post. I'm trying to give as much background and information as possible.

I have been eyeing orchids for a bit now. I am not an avid gardener, but over the past summer I have taken more of an interest. I am a recovering over-waterer and currently have a palm that I half killed because I put it too close to a vent, but I have a few jade plants that I rescued from a co-workers office and they have been doing pretty well so I'm thinking I've recovered from over-watering.... I live in Winnipeg, Canada, which is currently experiencing a VERY cold fall.

My penny pinching husband wanted to get me some flowers so he got me an orchid (he'd seen me looking at them) instead of getting me a bouquet so I'd have blooms longer. I am very nervous that I am going to kill this beautiful plant. I have placed my beautiful orchid on a plate of pebbles and water as it's quite dry here. It is beside a south facing window that is nowhere near a vent.

So, long story short, I have learned from a few of my earlier stated mistakes. I have also been doing about a week's worth of reading this forum and other webpages but I still have a few questions that I'm hoping that someone can help me with. But I'm going to start with the most concerning one to me.

When I took it out of it's decorative pot there was water in the bottom which I immediately drained. More water poured from the clear plastic pot it's in so I placed it on a few bounty sheets to soak up as much moisture as possible. There are roots coming out the bottom that are black and mushy and one broke off. There are green roots though, but none have turned white yet, and the ones near the bottom appear to be mushy. Can I wait until it's done blooming to check and repair the roots? I do not want to hurt my husband's feelings by cutting off the flowers in order to save it unless I have to. It also has a very dry air root and there appears to be dried and broken off roots/spikes from the base of the plant.

Should I even bother trying to make this a new member of my family or should I just enjoy the beautiful flowers (or is too early to tell??) Please let me know if there are pictures required and of what.

Comments (15)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Pictures are always helpful. A south window sounds like too much light to me. I have mine in a bright, but muted eastern window. If I were you, I would knock the orchid out if the pot and cut off the bad roots. Any root that is brown or mushy looking I would cut off. A clear pot is wrong for plants. It must be a merchandizing idea. Roots don't like light.

• fly_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, it's in a clear plastic pot inside the decorative one. It's also beside a south facing window without direct light. Picture a dresser on a south wall with a window beside it, it's on the dresser. We're also only getting only 8:30 hours of sunlight right now.

• fly_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, I can post pictures, but I would like to know of what. I have no problem posting many pictures, but I think it would be beneficial to only post relevant ones.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Pics of the plant so the readers here can tell you if it is in good condition.
    Here are some notes for Canada which may help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian orchid congress notes

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

A name of the orchid would be helpful. If it has no tag or any identifying information, then you need to show a photo. There are millions of orchids and they all require different care.

I am assuming it is a Phalaenopsis. If your plant is in a clear plastic pot that has a drainage hole, you can leave it for now. But do not let this plant sit in water. As you have already mentioned, any sitting water will rot the roots. These plants grow attaached to trees and their roots are exposed to air and do not sit in pots of water.

I will disagree with Zakey. Phal roots do like light and actually grow better receiving light and air around them. But, they do not like to sit in water.

This is not the best time of year to stress the plant. I would carefully slice a few slits in the clear plastic pot to allow some air flow, then place the clear plastic pot inside a clay pot or some other pot that has drainage. The roots need air and should only be watered when dry.

When spring comes around, the plant should be through flowering and can be safely repotted.

If you do this, your flowers should remain and you will still have a healthy plant when spring arrives.

In your zone, I agree with the light you are giving it. If the leaves are receiving direct sunlight you might get some sunburn. But in your zone, I doubt you will be receiving hot sun.

Phals like to be warm. The plant should be in a warm room. These are tropical plants and will rot if the temps are not reasonable. Do not overwater, keep the plant warm and do not get any water in the crown. Move the plant from the non-draining pot and cut some slits in the plastic pot. You can cut off the brown mush roots sticking out of the pot.

All of this info is based on my assumption you are dealing with a Phalaenopsis. You need to provide a name of the plant.

Check the following link.

Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Phalaenopsis Culture

• fly_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks Jane. I'll post some pictures shortly for help.

• fly_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here is a picture of where it is. this is a south wall

This post was edited by fly_gal on Thu, Nov 27, 14 at 23:12

• fly_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here is the whole plant (sorry it's sideways)

• fly_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the root system

• fly_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The worrisome bottom

• fly_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if this is a dried up root/spike and if I should be concerned or not

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

It looks pretty nice but I agree with Jane- it could use some kind of ventilation like holes or slits on the side of the pot.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

So where is Zone 3a? That is why I took a punt and sent you some notes written for Canada.
    The clear pot is because the roots seem to like light and will turn green after watering. I agree that it might help to extend the drainage holes up the sides.
    Plant looks in reasonable condition.
    As for the light, the instruction re. the amount will depend on your latitude. In zone 3a the instructions re. light will be very different to that given for say San Diego.

• fly_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Winnipeg is pretty much right on 50N latitude. We're North of North Dakota.

I have removed the roots that were sticking out the bottom. I will cut some slats in the pot. I plan on reporting to remove the rotten roots once its done blooming. I'm looking forward to this new challenge!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I may have more questions once it's done.

• poppy_pa_6b
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi fly_gal,

I just purchased my first orchid also and am interested to hear/see how your orchid is doing? Did you repot it? What potting media did you use? Fertilizer and watering?

Mine was a $1 special in the clearance section with no flowers, but healthy leaves but planted in sopping wet sphagnum moss. I figured at that price it was worth a try. I hope I've repotted it ok.

Looking forward to your update! And your flowers are gorgeous!