Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Royal Orchid Club is at it again

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Nov 27, 09 at 22:06

The Royal Orchid Club is having a 45% Discount Grower's Blow Out Black Friday Super Sale. That's a mouthful, had to spit out my chew to get that out! Go to their site and fill your shopping cart. At checkout you need to enter this discount code in order to get the discount:

BLKFRIDAY

I ordered from their 'Small Plant' list 8 vandaceous tpes and 3 Tollumnias. There will be 2 of each shipped as part of their usual 2 for 1 routine for small sized plants. That came to $76.67, reduced to $42.17 once the discount is applied. Add $31.05 for shipping and the cost for 22 plants (only 11 different clones) comes to $73.22 or about $3.33 per plant.

The sale ends Nov 30 and the plants won't be shipped until Dec 18, their next shipping day. I'm not worried about temperature in SOCAL but that's obviously a concern for some. Mail on Dec 18 will also be at least 1 or 2 days slower than usual. Both the Vanda types and the Tollumnias I ordered should be able to stand a few days of dryness. This may not be so for some of the other genera.

There have been lengthy discussion about the business practice of the Royal Orchid Club with many members expressing dissatisfaction, poor packing and small plant size. I have heard that their Cattleyas are very small but that the vandaceous types are of stated size. A few month ago I ordered 5 small plant size Vanda types from him. They arrived nicely packed and exactly of the stated size. They are actively growing as we speak and are totally satisfactory plants. Since I had 2 of each I traded 5 away.

The Royal Orchid Club is controversial, to say the least, I'm not writing this to recommend them, even though I had a positive experience with them, only making members aware of this sale which will end in a couple of days. The 45% discount will not be applied to Ebay purchases, only sales from their site.

Nick.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Royal Orchid Club is at it again

Hi Nick. Someone, perhaps you, had stated before that their vandas were good choices. I recently ordered just one BS and it arrived just fine, in bud! A year or so back I ordered a couple phals (also doubles) and they were in sad shape. Packed in a baggie and stuffed in an envelope size box that Uncle smashed. I wasn't able to save them. Since then I've checked out info on his site and there are very specific instructions on unpacking/treating and potting his plants. Perhaps had I read this info I'd have salvaged the earlier plants I purchased.

He has one catt that I'd love to have...a yellow beauty. Perhaps you've ordered it. Can't recall it's name though.

o

Paying attention to the advice offered on this forum I have only ordered Vanda types and they were all OK. This is the first time I'm trying something else with the 3 Tollumnias.

Nick

o

Nick, for some, Tolumnia are tricky to grow. Good luck in your adventure with them. Not in the Telipogon class of difficulty but.......

o

Arthurm, I have read your comments on them over the years, I know you have a nice collection of them. I grew them with only moderate success in a greenhouse before. Some thrived, others did not. Was totally unsuccessful in growing them outside. Will try them in this new greenhouse mounted, with a small amount of moss, allowing them to totally dry out between watering. I think I gave them too much water in the past. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Nick

o

Nick, sounds good, hope the little beauties grow and bloom for you.

o

I'm trying the tolumnias again too. Only one species, the other few are hybrids. I do not keep my GH very warm so I brought them indoors on the sunporch...good light & I'm misting them daily (a.m.). The sylvestris plants are mounted, the others in empty clay pots. So far they haven't died, but that's the only positive for now. I've only had them for less than a year.

o

I love the Tolumnias! I have a variety of them and they do grow quite well me. I grow them in small clay pots. I have a nice yellow blooming now and need to go water and see who it is!

Only problem I have had the last few years is when I transition them in the fall from outside to in. I'm not going to do that anymore. Don't know why they have that problem - when I didn't take them outside for the summer there were no problems in the fall.

Back on subject. I believe that some of the plants Royal Orchids grows are at their nursery in this country. Many other things are imported from Asia. Those plants here have been long established and go directly to purchaser. I have gotten Dendrobiums from here and they were nice - his specials. But other things were definitely on a long boat in a dry crate with more plants than the box could hold sailing for America.

o

"Many are imported from Asia" . Well, that can be a plus as well as a minus. There being some excellent orchid nurseries in Asia. Does anyone know if plants actually are shipped from say Thailand to the USA by boat?

No idea how to grow Tolumnia indoors under lights, but imagine the two rules still apply. Underpot or Mount and must Dry by "Sunset".

o

They will only be indoors during Winter storms in Dec to March. The rest of the time they will be outside.

Nick

o
George King Serendipity blc

Does anyone know where I could purchase a blooming size of this beautiful orchid?

o

almasgarden

re: George King Serendipity blc

This plant is aka:
Rhyncholaeliocattleya George King 'Serendipity' (Rhyncholaeliocattleya Buttercup x Cattleya Bob Betts)

Waldor in NJ won a CCM/AOS award with this plant in 2004. Give them a call.

Good Luck!!

--Stitz--

o

Try these people, they seem to have 6" divisions for sale.

http://www.wickfordorchids.com/georgeking.htm

Nick

o
Wickford Orchids

The Home Page for Wickford Orchids was last updated in 2008/Nov. Please note:

"...we will be shutting down and no longer taking orders for plants.

Again thanks, it was a great experience.

Mike @ Wickford Orchids"

Wickford Orchids won a CCM/AOS for their 'Serendipity' less than two weeks from the same award to Waldor in Dec, 2004 according to the info available to me through OrchidWiz.

--Stitz--

o

The 45% off Black Friday specials arrived. This is my second order from the Orchid Club and again I am very pleased. I ordered 16 plants, mostly vandaceous types, the rest Tollumnias. All are 'small plant' sized and therefore 2 of each arrived. They are all healthy and I see no reason why they should not do well. The Tollumnias all have multiple growths and a good root system.

A large Vanda with 18 leaves which had bloomed 3 times all ready was included as a bonus plant. 32 small plants plus the large bonus plant for $104 certainly makes me happy. There has been some negativity about this vendor but I have had a positive experience twice now.

Nick

o

I bought one plant from 'Royal Orchid Club' in spite of what I'd heard, because it was cheap. You get what you pay for, I will never consider buying from them again ever! Worst ebay experience with plant AND shipping and I have deleted that seller from all searches.

o

I'm going to come to the defense of the Royal Orchid Club. I have also heard the negative reports which center on the following complaints:

1) Plants are poorly packed and arrive in bad shape.

I have ordered twice from them and all the time the plants arrived in MINIMUM packing material but in good shape. The fact that they are in good shape may be related to Southern California. In less friendly climes the minimal packing may not offer enough protection for the plants.

2) Plants are way smaller than implied in their description.

I have heard that this is not true for 'Small Plant' (size) Vandas and Oncidiums. The only plants I have bought from them are small Vanda types and with the last order small Tollumnias. With these types of orders you get 2 plants per order. In all instances the plants were right on target, exactly as big (or small) as described. All the plants appear to be doing well, the ones I bought 3 month ago are well rooted.

From what I hear my positive experience appears not to be so if you order larger plants of any type nor if you order small sized plants like Cattleyas or Phaelanopsis. It is for that reason that I limited my order to Vanda and Onc types and stuck to 'small sized plants'.

I have no personal interest in promoting them just reporting my experience as it happened. Symbie, what size and what type of plant did you order from them?

Nick

o

I have ordered from them on three different occasions and have had no problems. i.e. the plants were healthy, the same size as advertised, and no damage during shipping.
John

o

Back when I bought hybrids, I 'won' a yellow Oncidium hybrid in spike. The plant was simply put in a box, no wrapping, no protection of any kind. The box was too small to accommodate the plant, so, of course, the spike was broken. The leaves were black-spotted and the pseudobulbs were shriveled and the plant did not survive.

o

Not worth a try, Believe me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here