Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hardytropicalguy

Cymbidium Goeringii

hardytropicalguy
14 years ago

One of my Cymbidium Goeringii I sold to a collector last year on e-bay.

{{gwi:204682}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower Farm and Gardens Blog

Comments (8)

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

hardytropicalguy,

Thank you for sharing your nice foto. Did you intend to add some comments or questions? Your foto seems naked by itself.

We're mostly hobbyists/amateurs here! Please, help us out with some commentary!

If you wish to show your foto without commentary, please note that GardenWeb procides us with that outlet also. Note the link below:

Thanks,

--Stitz--

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb Orchid Gallery

• sweetcicely
    14 years ago

...or might this be a bit of not too subtle advertising...?

Pretty Cym.

Sc

• hardytropicalguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

stitzeweller I did not realize that being concise and to the point was leaving a photo "naked" I guess

(One of my Cymbidium Goeringii I sold to a collector last year on e-bay.) was inappropiately concise and to the point
    I don't have any questions or comments to accompany this picture because if an enthusiast should have a question I will be more than happy to provide them with the information . Otherwise incessant rambling and overaccompanying text can really garble up the simplicity of the statement just a simple picture can make.

Also thank you for informing me of something that I am well aware of that there is an accompanying photo gallery in most if not all of the forums. Did you check to see that I am a founding member here at Gardenweb and have been a member since 2001? I rather enjoy when people share their photos in the groups I am a member of because not everyone makes it to the gallery regularly so if one is going to the trouble to share with the broadest audience possible it is often easiest to simply post to the discussion part of the forum. If you are the administrator for this group please remove my inappropriate listing as such that it has violated any of the rules or regulations for this are.

Sweetcicely you may offer me 100,000 dollars for this orchid but it has already been sold along with the rest of my collection over a year ago during financial hardship so in remembrance and appreciation of my collection I thought some other enthusiast may benefit from seeing a plant not common in most peoples collections due to the specific cultural requirements necessary for appreciating such a beauty.

Maybe the other silent forum members may appreciate my sharing but maybe I will think twice before posting any pictures to the Orchid Forum. I can only imagine if I had posted the other pictures of my once cherished Cymbidiums for simply the sharing with others. Good day

• bullsie
    14 years ago

Very lovely Cymbidium! Thank you for sharing the photo.

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

Nice plant - I've been meaning to try a goeringii someday, although I have a dreadful time with cymbidiums - mainly issues with under watering due to laziness.

As an older member who is aware of the existence of the gallery, perhaps you may also realize that the more people who simply post photos here in the discussion section to 'share with the widest audience possible', the less the gallery is used, thus propagating the lack of interest to make the mecca over to that section of the forum.

Anyway, this issue has popped up a few times, and as always members have gently, cordially and politely reminded the OP of the existence of the gallery. It is not a matter of rules or regulation, but general etiquette that helps keep our forum organized and easier to sift through. Please keep posting your photos - there are people who visit the gallery daily, and it's only a click away.

• hardytropicalguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Calvin orchidlover

As long as you have a cool orchid room or cool area of the house a Cymbidium Goeringii would be perfect for you.
    Easy easy easy and drought tolerant they spent the entire summer out of doors way at the back of the property under the shade of towering Norway Spruces. This area is beyond the reach of hoses and past where I was willing to carry large amounts of water to plants. So they received and were happy with only rainwater from May until roughly now when they would initiate buds.

If I still had them now I would have still had them outside at least until the weather was forecast to drop into the high 20's such as 28 or 29 degrees. Then they would come into my minimally heated porch which is heated to 40-50 degrees during the winter where they would receive an occasional watering monthly at best. Really they are in a semi dormant state by this time anyway but overall their watering needs are very low.

Once the plants really were ready for blooming right around February they would come inside so I could enjoy the blooms and then out they went to the porch until they were put back outside usually after the last frost. In spring after spending the winter inside they were not properly hardened off to experience frosts. Fall frost yes spring frost no. They usually had also initiated new foliar growth which would not have sufficiently hardened off to experience sub freezing temperatures.

If you have the conditions for them they are one of the easiest of plants to care for, grow, and bloom. So the limiting factor for being successful with Cymbidium goeringii is that they need the cold period through the winter and not all enthusiasts can provide this.

• flowell
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the cultural information. Now I might be able to get mine to bloom.

• vineyarder
    9 years ago

This plant is growing outdoors in Chilmark, MA... USDA 7A. I am trying to find other cold hardy forms for breeding.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!