Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epiphyte78

Hybrid Wish List

epiphyte78
9 years ago

There are lots of hybrids that I'd love to have but many of them haven't been created yet or they aren't readily available. Anybody else in the same boat? If so, you might be interested in this...

HybridizeThis

That's a group I created on reddit so that people could submit and vote on hybrid requests. Hopefully, if a request receives enough votes then perhaps hybridizers might take notice.

What hybrids would you like to see more of? Personally I'd love to see more viviparous hybrids, cold tolerant hybrids, drought tolerant hybrids and hercuthermal hybrids.

You probably don't know what a hercuthermal hybrid is because I just made up the word "hercuthermal". It refers to plants that grow in a wide range of temperatures. My theory is that crossing a warm growing orchid with a cool growing orchid might produce an orchid that grows in a wider range of temperatures. Admittedly, my theory is based on a single example that isn't even an orchid...Aloe Hercules...who, as you might have guessed, inspired the word "hercuthermal".

For lots of backstory, diagrams and extrapolation...here's my latest blog entry...Hercules, Hercutherm, Hybridize This and Hercules.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio