Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cattleya ???

Posted by mystic_2008 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 28, 11 at 1:42

I think I have a cattleya orchid plant. When I got it, it was in bloom, then the blooms fell off. I cut the stem back, but think I might have cut too much off. I have just transplanted it into the orchid moss which it was in before. The leaves look healthy.
My question is, will this orchid ever bloom again and if so, how long will it take to bloom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cattleya ???

There are many orchids that could be described as "Cattleya" look at the thumbnails in the link to see if there is something similar there. provided you have not caused too much damage a new growth should start in spring from the base of the growth which had the flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laeliinae subtribe set

o

Thank you very much for your help. The one that I have looks alot like Blc. Blanche Aisaka. I think that it is very pretty. I sure hope that I have not ruined the plant as it is very healthy and I would enjoy seeing another bloom on it.

o

You have a standard Cattleya, most of them flower in Autumn from the latest growth which started to grow in spring and matured late summer. Some of them wait till winter or even spring to flower.

See if you can find some complete cultivation notes written for growing conditions in Canada. Google Cattleya growing or Cattleya cultivation to find.

o

No such thing as cutting the flower stem too far back.. unless of course you cut into the actual growth or a leaf, or pbulb. But either way orchids are tough and it'll most likely do fine. Hope this helps.

Ben

o

Thank you all for the encouragement. I have never grown an orchid before and was told by a friend that I had cut the stem too far down. Will have to see what spring brings.

o

I never cut a flower stem until it is completely brown. Usually when it blooms the next year, I clean up the leaves and the mess left behind from the previous year before displaying the plant. That's a sure way to avoid transferring virus. With a collection of one, obviously not applicable. I have a pair of scissors I never flame but it never touches anything green either.

Nick

o

I'm hoping that you only cut the dead flower stalk and not the pseudopod (fat, green part where the flowers come from). Unless those are completely dead, you don't want to prune them off. The plant relies on them to store water and nutrients. There are some good introductory articles and videos at repotme.com that a novice should find helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here