Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swentastic81

Should I re-repot??

I got a sad looking phal a few years ago - the medium it was potted in was gross and rotting. It had no healthy looking roots (in fact new roots would burn or something when they touched the bark) but seemed happy enough. It bloomed twice and after the last flower dropped I bought a new planter and the recommended medium from Repot-me and potted accordingly.

Now the plant leaves are limp and sad looking, but it's growing the first healthy roots I've seen on it. Should I keep messing with it or let it be? Will it eventually reacclimate to the new pot?

Comments (2)

• philpet
    9 years ago

Hi so if I read correctly you just repotted it?.did it have any healthy roots left when you repotted it? If it didn't then the droopy leaves are to be expected because the plant has no way to take up moisture , plants absorbed moisture and nutrients through roots.why did you choose that pot? Without roots then that pot is too big.also a clear plastic pot would have allowed you to see what's happening inside the pot. Does the pot has any drainage holes? Phals like to breath, also without holes the water would settle and rot the plant when you do water it.so conclusion if the pot has no drainage I would say repot if it has a few drainage hole and the plant is growing new roots it would be best to let it be.repotting it's stressful and plants need time to adjust be careful with waterings, allow the media to go near dry before watering again, do not fertilise until the plant has adjusted properly and don't keep the plant in direct sun just bright shade.if it's was near rootless then it will spend time to grow new roots to fill the pot before it blooms gain. And lastly be patient, if orchids teach anything it's patients, phals are really strong orchids and once they receive proper care they will be very happy to reward you with months of beautiful blooms.ok I am gonna shut up nowðÂÂÂ(they are my favourite).Velleta

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your response velleta - I really appreciate the help. I'm a total orchid noob!

There were no healthy roots when I repotted - it was crammed into a plastic container when I got it. The new pot is actually a cast concrete container and has many holes (because I read that phals like to breathe, plus I thought it was very pretty) and I bought the special mix recommended for phals. I think you're right, its probably just shocked and regrouping - it has a couple great looking healthy roots now growing down into the medium so hopefully it'll perk back up once those take hold. Here's another shot of the pot.

{{gwi:2119136}}

Anyway, I'll leave it be and whisper sweet things to it. Thanks again for the response :)