Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

A 5$ Orchid I bought last year I wish I new the name of.Pic

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

I have no clue..I bought it without a tag but it sure likes to bloom with little work.

If anyone nows the name of this one I would really appreciate it.

Thank you much

Mike:-)

{{gwi:205639}}

{{gwi:205640}}

Mike

Comments (25)

• donaldb
    13 years ago

Oncidium Beallara Tahoma Glacier. I have one that just got through blooming last month. Your flowers are exactly the same.

• orchid_123
    13 years ago

I really don't think that's Beallara Tahoma Glacier. Tahoma Glacier has white flowers with a few red spots. The plant must have been mislabeled.

Sorry I can't help you with the ID. There are so many oncidium intergenerics...

• cody_mi
    13 years ago

i would agree, it's not beallara tahoma glacier. to me yours looks more like a miltassia, but i'm very often wrong

• vtandrea
    13 years ago

Would someone please explain to me how to post a photo this size on the forum? I used to be able to do it, but now the usual code doesn't work for me. Thanks!

• arthurm
    13 years ago

It is almost impossible to say though some posters overlook the variation that occurs within each crossing.There are an infinite number of variations in the clones of Beallara Tahoma Glacier though only a few are available as mericlones.
    A search of everyones uploads on Flickr shows some pics labelled Beallara Tahoma Glacier that do look like the pic. in the first post. But having said that there is a lot of stuff on the net that has doubtful accuracy.

• elvis
    13 years ago

It's a ringer for my miltassia "The Webmaster". Blooms a lot, is slightly fragrant, (SLIGHTLY), and easy as pie to divide...

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

Mike:

How on earth did you get an orchid that size for $5?

Lucky, you always get the deals!

Christopher

• donaldb
    13 years ago

Should have checked my pics before posting. Your flowers are similar to my Oncidium Beallara Tahoma Glacier, but not exactly the same. Bottom line would be to enjoy your NOID as I'm sure we all have one of some species in our collections.
    Happy growing and holidays.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Mike, your plant is loaded with blooms!
    This is my first visit to the Orchid Forum, too!

I hope you get a definitive ID.
    Very nice!

Josh

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

Good growing, Mike! Very pretty and quite the bargain at that price. Never found anything that size for $5 bucks.

Virtually impossible to get an exact ID without the tag. Looks like a Milt to me,
    {{gwi:205641}}
    Miltonia spectabilis var Moreliana

Jane

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jane..

Oh My God...Beautiful ALL your Orchids are..Great Job..It was actuakll looking at our orchids way back that got me ineterested..I figured I woukld try one for that price and I have a few others that seem to be doing very well! I have one that smells like chocolate when in bloom, and I pray this one blooms again too..

Josh...I am so thrilled you are heer with me..Looks liek you and I have started another journey together..You should post your's here to, because I don't think many here know just how special yours is..I love yours!

Don..Where? Where can I look at and enjoy your's? I can only imagine how nice they look from all the wealth of info you dispense here and help to all..I have been reading many post's by you, but do not know where your pics are?

Chris..Lol..You are to funny..I also must say it is good to see you too..Do you normally come here? That is great if so..You haven't been at "Lake street Nurseries" lately, have you...?

Everyone else..Thank you for trying to help..It means a lot to me..I just may come back with more I got that had no name tags, once they bloom..You have all been gracious and very helpful so quick.

Mike

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

I'm continually amazed at the beautiful leaves people's orchids have when they post pictures. Do all your plants look like that? Mine are in the backyard with birds, mice, spiders and every other critter known to nature nesting in them, none of my leaves look like that.

I guess I can proudly state that mine have the 'natural' look.

Nick

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

Hi Mike!

Started coming here more often after I bought a Phalaenopsis, a Cattleya hybrid and a Dendrobium all without buds on clearance at $2 each. Nothing spectacular like yours, though. So you know Lake Street Garden Center? It's only a couple miles from my house! I go there several times over summer. I will have to check out their orchids, just to see what is growing!

Christopher

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

Nick, I can help you feel better by posting a few of mine which got eaten over summer...a few covered with scale and spider mites and how about some fungus?

I never show those,

Jane

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

Mike, did you check out the gallery?

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid Pictures

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jane..Oh boy, I am almost afraid to look!! Thank you.

Chris: You have got to be kidding me right? That is one of my favorite nurseries for many plants I can't get from others!
    I was just there last week and they were about to have a HUGE sale on all their out of flower orchids..I think it is happening now..They had quite a few set up on one table..You better hit that place as soon as today..lol
    $2 ? That is a much better deal than mine..You are so lucky to live close to that place..You should see their "corpse plant" there..

Nick..They must still look awsome..I tell you..The ones in my yard at my house in the Tropics grow the nicest and biggest, some fragrant flower you could ever see while the leaves look like garbage..lol. I once found a Tarantula coming out of one..

Thanks everyone..Happy Friday

Mike

• vtandrea
    13 years ago

I feel like chopped liver. Won't anyone answer my question above?

• arthurm
    13 years ago

Maybe if you say where your pics are stored the chopped liver syndrome will go away.

13 years ago

Hey, Mike! Maybe I will post over here... ;)

Vtandrea, there's a good tutorial posted at the Orchid Gallery.

Josh

• vtandrea
    13 years ago

Arthur, not everyone is able to navigate easily on web pages. I have tried to get help on the photo posting in the past and even now, I can't even find the orchid gallery, let alone a tutorial. Your answer was less than helpful and that's not usually the case when you reply. What I used to do with photos no longer works, so if anyone can post a link to this tutorial, I'd be most appreciative.

13 years ago

Okay, but it's right at the top of the Orchid Forum - it's called the Orchid Gallery.

Once there, the tutorial is the first post. It's called Instructions, in red and black:
    Image Uploading.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid Gallery

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

Hey Mike!

Now you have piqued my interest. Tomorrow I am going to Lake Street to check out the orchids!

Christopher

• arthurm
    13 years ago

Sorry, i meant to say are your pics on Flickr, photobucket and so on? Maybe there is a difference depending on which site you are using and that would have made it easier for someone to help.

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

vtandrea, what photo hosting site are you using? On Photobucket, you copy the html code and paste it in the body of your post here if you want your pic in the post...or you can post it in the box down below called 'Optional Link URL' then give it a name in the box 'Name of the Link' box.

Here's my html paste from photobucket:
    {{gwi:68062}}

When I hit 'preview' I can see my photo. Then I hit 'submit'

Try it, its easy.

Jane

• vtandrea
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into PhotoBucket, although what I've always used is storage space on my internet provider, Comcast.net. I used to be able to type in the code:
    and the photo would come up.