Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dendriobium. Burana White

Posted by posenite Il 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 24, 11 at 9:52

I got this Dend. 2 years ago. Last year it produced 5 large buds. All but 1 dried up and fell off . This year the small cane had a spike with 4 buds that grew to maturity only to dry up and fall off. The large cane has a spike and is getting buds. Any suggestions how I can get it to flower? I have had Dends. Before and never had this problem. Hope you can help. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dendriobium. Burana White

Your orchid has a strong Dendrobium phalaenopsis influence, hence the nickname Phal. type Dendrobiums.

Maybe warmth isn't your problem at this time of year because no doubt the plant is indoors....but it certainly is here in winter where i have similar orchids growing in a glasshouse and i'm a bit mean with the heating. Cold and damp is the usual reason for buds dropping off.

Maybe you would have success if the plant was grown under lights.

Pity most of these orchids "decide" to flower in winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here