Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fuzzballiscute

How can I protect my outdoor orchids from near freezing temps???

Hi,
I have some Pleurothallis, Masdevallias, and Draculas growing outside in a well ventilated but very often foggy, shady spot, but no equipment. I don't have a thermostat yet but according to yahoo weather in Oakland, this whole week has lows in the 30's, mostly around 37 F but one day even 32 F (ah!) It is also windy so I still have to water some of the mounted ones. Almost all of them are newly potted (except for the ones I received that were mounted) (within 2 months) and most are sprouting. The one that isn't new is a Dracula Hirtzii that I got this summer (pic attached), from some guy who was giving away some of his orchids, and it was pretty beat up, but it is growing better now but is starting to show to suffering along with some others probably because of constant low 40's at night recently. Anyways most of them are cool growing but temps are cold now, and inside would be too warm... Is there anyway I could at least keep them alive?

Thanks!!

Comments (11)

• fuzzballiscute (SF Bay Area, Ca. Us)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a new pleurothallis

Original Author
    9 years ago

masd.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

Do you have a garage? Or how about a spare room? Close the heat vent and the interior door and open a window?

Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a tool room, I'll try it and hope that my cats dont jump on them! Thanks

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

how long have you been growing orchids?

• ocker
    9 years ago

My Australian Native hybrids are all grown outside in Bayside Melbourne Australia.
    Last winter I bought some material on ebay and placed over my plants on nights when frost was due., eg Plant Protection Fleece
    Plant Fleece is a white, nonwoven polypropylene material designed to aid in protection from insect damage, frost and extreme weather.

The material insulates the area under the fabric while allowing water to pass through at the same time trapping in heat. It is 100% breathable so it doesn't have to removed during sunny days.

The material also has a high degree of light transmission to assist in the growing process.

I also considered buying a product called Envy which is a spray on and gives, I think, an extra 4 degrees Celsius protection. But being by the Bay the temp doesn't get that low.

• jimbo0108
    9 years ago

My collection has grown enough that I can't move them inside and it gets to frost temperatures a few times a year in SW florida...my plan this year is to bring them in on the patio right next to the house because the house will radiate a few degrees higher and keep them protected...I also plan to cover them with a blanket or sheet overnight to help keep some warmth in.

• mothorchid
    9 years ago

I don't know, but I hope the best for them. I had my phal orchids out of their pots for like a week letting them air and stretch their roots, misting them daily. Today I trimmed the brown off the roots and put them in pots. The one I got for ten bucks had time to show which roots were keepers and it was left with a few. So I have a leaf or two that is weak, and had some roots that looked plump but were broken and simply must of had the wrong fertilizer applied by the florist. I got a chance to see which roots the orchid seemed to be using. Mine might die. Anyway the black you have on your leaves might be from way too much moisture, but I am not familiar with the type you have growing. Epiphyites, forgive the spelling, seem easy and can live outa their pots for a few days in my area, indoors. Of course now these phals are my little faves and if they die I'll be crushed, but
    it will be partially my fault. Can you bring yours indoors and just dote on learning about them? Maybe that would help? What are yours growing in? A lot of my phalenopsis roots had to go, several hours ago.

• mothorchid
    9 years ago

I don't know much about cold weather orchids. The phal likes it chilly, like in the 50's-60's degrees f, which what it usually is indoors during winter anyway, so I hope for the best. I stay away from peat moss personally, but might use a little if I get a keiki. I prefer keiki's to flowers most of the time. Do those the o.p. has keiki?

• mothorchid
    9 years ago

but if it's fungal or bacterial the o.p. has, wouldn't it look like that? I did fertilize mine, the roots got enough mist throughout the out of pot experience to get fertilized. I am not going to try terrestrial orchids, but I do have a lithophyte on the way, an austriallian cultivar, dendobrium kingianum, and would like to mount it, but they like phalanopsis seem to fair better in pots. I guess a vanda would suit me better. When I get the dendo, if it ever arrives, I will post a pic. One more pic of the phal. I think it'll make it. two more roots on it might need a snip, but for now I am waiting it out.

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

It's probably got nothing to do with orchids but in the old days farmers used to pour cold water around corn if there was a frost during the growing season to save the crop.