Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsegel

What do I do with this orchid?

dsegel
9 years ago

I bought this orchid in a grocery store this past August--popular brand you buy in a store. It had 2 spikes with about 3-4 open flowers and about 5 buds. The plant has been in much the same place--near an East facing window but no direct light. I have watered as directed--a small amount once a week. Also added weak solution of liquid fertilizer. None of the buds ever opened. Some just stayed on the spike and some turned brown and fell off. One spike turned brown so I cut it off. Just cut the other spike down to 1" above the bottom node--it was still green. Very early on the leaves turned limp which I read means too much water. I eventually dug it out of its original pot to get a look at the roots. The roots have always been as you see them here--kind of greyish. I've had it in this clear plastic cup for a couple weeks now trying to get the plant to dry out some. I cut 2 bottom leaves off that were starting to turn color. I keep the moss just damp. Any suggestions what I should do to save this plant?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living