Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jetson15

Triple Spikes!!

Jetson15
9 years ago

This is a no-name Phal I picked up at Lowes last year. Had real nice cream flowers last year. Looks like it's going to have a flower fest this year. First spike is 6" long, second spike to the right between the roots is about 2" and now it seems to be starting a third spike right by the first one. Never seen that on such a small plant. It's only a 3" pot.

Alan

Comments (10)

• tanie51
    9 years ago

Congratulations Alan! That's awesome!

Tanie

• emily78
    9 years ago

That's great! I'm just curious - did you leave the plant in the pot you purchased it in or re-pot it? I wonder if it has to do with how tightly the roots are packed in. Great job!

• philpet
    9 years ago

Congratulations AlanðÂÂÂ, great job. I don't want to be the wet blanket here but if your talking the new growth beside the spike to the left I think it's a new root and not another spike. Spikes don't normally have that colour or shape tip. But a new root is also great news it means your plant is growing also nd happy.congratulations againðÂÂÂ.Velleta

• Jetson15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Emily, I re potted it back in September when the last flowers died. I did pack it pretty tight. It's in New Zealand AAA Sphagnum moss with a few other ingredients with it.

Philpet, you could be right. It doesn't look like the other roots that have grown out, but it may be too early to tell. The tip didn't look as smooth as the root usually do, so I assumed a spike. Should know for sure next week.

• mothorchid
    9 years ago

that's great, congrats. for me it's the set up, the way the decor looks, as long as the thing lives. day three, still alive, starting to thrive, so now, it's home is in the set up process. holes drilled in the stump to hold water to provide humidity. peat, charcoal, lava rocks, saw dust. there is dirt that i have had for years way down deep in one or two of the holes to hydrate once in awhile just to give nutrients in the air, stuff like that. this phal might die, i am by no means an expert on this. it's a hobby for me, for fun, not profit.

• louise_9954
    9 years ago

@mothorchid I have read several of your posts with interest. You have one orchid which you have owned for three days; is this correct? You say that bark damages roots because it is too sharp but you have your phal resting on lava rock which is quite a bit sharper. Also you keep repeating the idea that nutrients must be airborne for the orchids to absorb them. Are you trying to mount the orchid on the stump? Mounting orchids is one way to grow them, but they must be watered frequently and given fertilizer in solution on the roots to thrive; they do not extract nutrients from the air.

This post was edited by Louise_9954 on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 14:48

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Jetson, those look like roots to me. You have one spike and the plant appears to be growing some new roots. Could be wrong, but that is how it appears in your photo. I don't think those are spikes.

Sorry,

Jane

• Jetson15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are definitely 2 spikes. The one to the right is between the two fat roots. The one I thought was a third spike right by the spike to the left is looking more and more like a root now. However, if it keeps growing strait up, I may stake it and see if it will flower. haha!

• philpet
    9 years ago

So I was right thenðÂÂÂ. You would be amazed at how some phal roots grow, stright up or out or even coiled under. They never seize to amaze me.thats why they will always be my favourite. A blooming root??ðÂÂÂthat would be something to see, then you would really be the envy of the forumðÂÂÂ. Enjoy your plant Jetson it's our little heavenðÂÂÂvelleta

• Bryne Jordan
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Is this a rare thing? I have an orchid with three spikes, shortest being @12" and longest @26". It was bought at a Kroger's last year. The third one only popped out after it was home for a few months. I know little info, so....