Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kryssmall

Phals in Jamaica

KrysSmall
9 years ago

Hey everyone! I've been lurking around this forum for a few weeks now and decided (finally) to become a part of this community. I have recently become absolutely in love with and addicted to orchids.

I've started my collection (I currently have 8 orchids), the most being Phals. This collection is about 3 months old, so of course, I have not yet had a rebloom.

Throughout my extensive research of phals, the general consensus is that in order for a phal to rebloom there needs to be a drop in temperature, up to 15 degrees, I've read.

Now, my question is (specifically to those in the tropics) how does this reality affect reblooms in an environment that basically experiences summer all year long? Do you have successful reblooms without the use of A/C? I'd love to hear about other's experiences. Krystal

This post was edited by KrysSmall on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 16:59

Comments (10)

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Not so sure about the 15C or F bit. In Northern Australia where Phalaenopsis amablis grows in nature there are two seasons the wet and the dry.
    Similar for parts of South East Asia where it is warm all year and there are the rainy seasons and the not so rainy seasons.
    There is a long FAQ about getting Phalaenopsis to rebloom that may have useful information that might apply to Jamaica.

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

You'll be fine. Your seasonal change should be enough for them. If you can, try and get a hold of ''Orchid growing in the tropics'' by the orchid society of south east Asia. It's a great book.

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

You'll be fine. Your seasonal change should be enough for them. If you can, try and get a hold of ''Orchid growing in the tropics'' by the orchid society of south east Asia. It's a great book.

• philpet
    9 years ago

Hi KrysSmall welcome to the forum and to growing orchids.you can't help but love them.So I live in Jamaica tooðÂÂÂ, westmoreland to be exact and I have over thirty phals, some catts,oncidium and a few other varieties.phals are one of the easier orchids to grow, about them blooming don't worry if they are healthy the will start to spike around the end of December to early January. If you live in the Mandeville area it will be sooner because as you know it's very cool their right through the year. It's really nice meeting someone else from jamaica here, now I know I am not the only " YARDIE " here.ðÂÂÂVelleta.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

Hi Krystal! Welcome. I'm sure you will figure out how to grow and bloom phals. But why not grow orchids that are natural to Jamaica? There are quite a few desirable species growing natural in Jamaica. Also the Brassavolas or hybrids with brassavola can thrive there with good culture.

If possible join the local Orchid society. There is always a variety of benefits. Especially local knowledge. The most benefit is when you are new to orchids. You get up to speed much quicker. And there are social benefits also.

And Valletta has gained valuable experience growing in your beautiful island. The very best of luck on your happy addiction!

• KrysSmall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! Thank you so much for your replies!

@ arthurm Oops! I meant a 15 degree difference in temperature. I'll definitely check out the FAQ some more.

@ adamharbeck I'll try to order the book. It would be beneficial for me to have it.

@ shavedmonkey (Love your screenname lol) I do intend to expand my collection which I'm sure will include some local species. I actually do have a brassocattleya type orchid as well, but I'm not sure about the name of it since it didnt come with a tag and it wasnt in bloom when I got it. There is a local orchid society that I will be joining. Then next meeting is the first week in January.

@philpet Another yardie! I'm so glad to have found a fellow Jamaican orchid grower/lover here. I live in Kingston. Over 30 phals?? Wow...my dream collection. I will get there someday soon. My next acquisitions will be some catts and oncidiums. I'm relieved to know that there should be no issue with my phals blooming as long as they are healthy. When I think about it, there are MANY people living here who grow phals successfully in our climate so I really have nothing to worry about.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

I've put a Phalaenopsis set in the link. If you click right from the first one there are about 5 photos of Phalaenosis growing in Vietnam. No fiddling about in glass-houses or taking them inside or outside.
    As i said above, wonder what is the key to making them
    Bloom.
    Anyway, I suspect that Jamaica is Phalaenopsis Heaven.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phalaenopsis Pics.

• philpet
    9 years ago

Hi Krystal, just wanted to ask how we're the orchids? I noticed two of mine were sending out new spikes from older spikes I had let remain.They had a really good year with lots of new root growth and leaves.i am expecting lots of spikes for this bloom seasonðÂÂÂ.Velleta

• KrysSmall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Velleta. I have one phal that is in bloom right now. The others, most of which are baby phals, are growing roots and leaves.

• philpet
    9 years ago

Ok that's wonderful, you said the others are baby phals , does that mean they have never bloomed? Or you got them as Keikies from friends? I asked because I know when we normally buy phals we buy them in bloom which would mean they are mature plants.i am happy to know they are growing new roots and leaves, sign they are healthy. ðÂÂÂ.Velleta