Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over blooming Phal?

Posted by madladill none (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 21, 11 at 17:01

I have a phal that i bought this summer. When i bought it, it had all its flowers and since then they have all fallen off. In October a new flower bloomed. Now its winter and it has new buds and a new spike. Is my phal over blooming? I dont want it to get stressed out and die.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over blooming Phal?

It will not get stressed out and die. In fact it looks pretty healthy...but it will never be a thing of beauty, like this.

Phalaenopsis Unknown

At some stage, you will have to decide to cut "spent spikes" off at the base and let the phal. go through an annual cycle of blooming and growing. That is what the owner of the Phal. pictured above does and it is growing indoors next to a large window, not a lush glass-house.

o

So when i cut the stem after its finish blooming, it has the potential to flower later on like the flower above?

o

The 'expert" phal growers in the local orchid society cut the flowering stem off at the base at the end of the main flowering season (late spring here) to give the plants a rest and a chance to recover over summer.

The slight cool down in late Autumn initiates a new flower spike in winter and the phal blooms aprox. 110 days after the spike appears.

Sure a phal. might continue to bloom from an old spike, but the number and size of flowers is reduced.

o

Heres the a picture of one of the flowers. sorry, bad quality camera. =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here