Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanie51

Could this be a dendrobium spike?

tanie51
9 years ago

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year Orchid Friends

I am wondering could this be my Christmas and New Year gift to me from my dendrobium?This is my only dendro I have since May 2013. Grew 3 or 4 canes ever since but never a spike as you friends said that it is very difficult but I have hope this is the spike for me?

Comments (7)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I think it is! The older they get the more often they spike and the more spikes you get. I had one about 3 years old bloom for about 6 months between the three spikes.

• tanie51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Zack! That is a good news to hear and I hope mine will do so too. There's one cane grew before this one, it has a little something from the top like this one but only one and I watched and watched but it doesn't grow any bigger or taller. This has 2 tips and I see they are growing a bit each day... Wonderful if it is a spike. This dendrobium is 1 of 2 of the most difficult for me to rebloom. Now down to 1 more to go, the Burr Nelly Isler.....

Tanie

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I always thought they were extremely easy to grow.

• tanie51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well it is easy for you where you are. I live in cold climate and lately I have all my orchids in my little sun room. Some nights it could come down to 10, 11 degrees Celsius and thought my dendrobium will not stand the chance for being in that cold nights. Now I can feel a bit at ease.

Tanie

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Tanie, they are not considered easy here in Cymbidium Heaven That is because they like to flower in the cooler times during year and the buds abort.
    Depends on what you call a cold night. Because it never snows here most orchids are grown outside under shade-cloth. Winter nights are often below 10C. not a problem for Cymbidiums and other genera provided days are mostly sunny and the temperature lifts.
    Your Den might be fine. Fingers crossed.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

I let mine down to 50F which is 10C. But that is my limit.

• tanie51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh all that is good for me to know because I thought it's too cold for den. When the outside - 26,27 below Celsius, even though I set the fireplace to be at 13, it still goes down to 10 or 11 degrees. (It's the remote control's fault). Never reads accurate. Set 13 but if it's in minus in single digit outside, it is 14 or 15 degrees inside but if down to minus 20ish outside, it will be down in the room to 10 0r 11 so it's hard for me to adjust. I just hope that all my orchids will survive and do okay. So far, since I moved all my orchids in this room over a month ago, I got 3 orchids spike for me (rebloom the second time this year) so that is a good news and to know that your orchids can do well in 10 0r 11 C. puts me at ease. I will sure post the bloom if they will bloom for me later....

Tanie

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting