Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found another source for Habenaria radiata

Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 5, 10 at 17:50

Every once in a while, someone asks where to get these. I was looking for sources for Pleione today and came across this nursery (link below). I've never ordered from this place, but the prices are good. Their Bletilla yunnanensis
looks kinda cool too.

In case you're not familiar with Habenaria radiata, here's one of my pics from a couple of years ago. Like Pleione, these are dormant this time of year and stored in the fridge.

Habenaria radiata

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Habs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found another source for Habenaria radiata

Kevin,

Thanks for this.

The source I've been using is Van Bourgondien. Right now, they show Habs as out of stock, but in the past anyway, they've accepted orders over winter for spring delivery.

Note: Von B tends to run out of these in late winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hab radiata, Van Bourgondien, aka Dutch Bulbs

o

WC - In comparing prices, Van B is 2 for $17. The source I listed is 5 for $20.

I've read and heard such terrible things about Van B, so I've always avoided ordering anything from them. I guess your experience must have been better. I'm kind-a in the mood to start collecting Habs when I can find them. I recently purchased a Habenaria rhodocheila 'Cardinal's Roost' HCC/AOS dormant. We'll see if it wakes up this spring. Sure hope so.

Kevin

o

Kevin, after my 1st post, I went to the site. Yep - huge difference in prices, and I'll go w/ them this year.

The 3 years I've ordered from Von B, the corms have seemed healthy; my care has been a learning curve which I may have gotten right this last year cuz all 4 spiked.

The only other plants from them were 2 small Dogwood trees that I hoped to raise indoors. One of the two flourished, but the other one was dead. Because the two were on sale for $7.50 plus shipping, I let it go.

Evidently, Zephyrus Orchids in Canada has a Hab radiata-type orchid w/ flowers about 10 times the size of the ones we've gotten - Hab susannae, which they call "Pecteilis susannae." If you go to the link, scroll all the way down.

Out of my price range, but fun to imagine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hab(?) susannae, Zephyrus Orchids

o

Yes, out of my price range too. Plus the whole hassle of ordering plants from Canada. Those are some really nice looking plants however.

It is kinda fun to just search around and see what's available from some of these lesser known nurseries. I found some nice terrestrials at the link below including a really spectacular Habenaria ciliaris. You have to go almost to the bottom of their plant list to see it. Unfortunately since this one grows almost 3 feet tall, I think I'll have to pass. I might order some of the others however.

Here is a link that might be useful: Habs

o

I just got some hassle free plants from Fraser's Thimble Farm. They did all the paper work and totally legal plants arrived at my front door. Cites and Phyto sanitary cost $25.

Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here