Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Epidendrum porphyreum

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 17, 11 at 17:50

I've been pleasantly surprised how easy to grow this species Reedstem orchid has been to grow outdoors here in Berkeley, California. Far showier in bloom and less problematic to encourage heavy blooming with minimal attention on my part than the more common hybrid Epidendrums I also grow. I also have E. embreii and E. capricornu thriving and blooming for the past several months, but E. porphyreum has to be the showiest.

Anyone have suggestions for other high elevation cloud forest Epidendrum species that are worth searching out? I also have good success with Sobralia macrantha outdoors here, but am unwilling to cultivate outdoor orchids that must be protected from mollusks and/or squirrel damage. So far, over the past 3 years, these Epidendrums have required next to no special care on my part except remembering to add some time release fertilize twice a year...

Here is a link that might be useful: Epidendrum porphyreum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Epidendrum porphyreum

Gorgeous Epidendrum, i'm surprised that no one has come up with a suggestion seeing that so many species are listed on Jay's species site.

I'm growing some seedlings of the newer hybrid types that have better flowers and dwarf plant habit compared the old fashioned common Epidendrums. Do not know how they would go in the climate there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here