Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my Cattley hybrid a mini?

Posted by cactus_dude Tucson (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 17:57

I just bought a pretty little Cattleya hybrid. The tag in the pot says Pot. Little Fortune "Dancing Girl". Does anyone know if this is a mini orchid? The leaves are certainly much smaller than another Cattleya hybrid I have, and the pseudobulbs are quite a bit shorter too.

Also, what is the difference between a "mini" orchid and a "compact" orchid?

Thanks very much.

cd

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my Cattley hybrid a mini?

Maybe you have Pot. Orquidacea's Little Fortune which is all i find if i put Little Fortune into the search engine.

"Mini" and "compact" might be marketing terms.

At orchid societies they might have large, intermediate and miniature categories for the flower size as well as a cluster category where the number of flowers on the raceme is more than a certain number.

Orchid breeders are trying to reduce the plant size so you could get a large flower on a "Compact" plant.

o
RE: Is my Cattley hybrid a mini?

Mini and compact tend to be pretty close in size. Breeder/grower discretion. I don't think any set dimensions yet for these terms.

Its a good field since growing under lights and windowsill growers can take advantage of Cattleya blooms without taking up the space that many of the species/hybrids have required.

While this plant could be an unregistered hybrid named Pot Little Fortune, it is possible to be - as anthurm mentioned - registered as Pot. Orquidacea's Little Fortune.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here