Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Catt. with empty sheath????

Posted by zgardennut zone5 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 11, 11 at 18:28

I have a cattleya which appears in very good health. It has two new leaves starting, and a sheath that has grown and is green so far, it is now a little over an inch long. The problem I have is the sheath is empty.
Is this the normal growth?
Why does this happen?
Thanks to all you experts, in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Catt. with empty sheath????

Some of the spring flowering "cattleyas" will form a sheath that will appear empty and even go brown and appear dead till late winter early spring when the buds start to grow.

If you provide a plant name maybe someone will know the flowering season.

o

Thank you for taking the time to answer Arthurm! My orchid is
Blc. Amy Wakasugi 'Yamanashi'(Lc. Bonanza x Heron's Ghyll)

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!

o

And some of the sheaths will remain empty. Just leave it alone, the truth will come out. If it is indeed empty, don't get rid of the plant, occasionally they do that.

Nick

o

Yep, sometimes the sheaths will go all brown and crusty- but then they start filling out and bloom for you. And yet others (I'm looking at YOU, Rhyncolaelia digbyana) will give you blind sheath after blind sheath- when everybody else in the club who had a division of the same monster plant has had blooms and you get another blind sheath and another.... and then right about when you are ready to give it away or feed it to the deer it actually blooms.

o

Moving it real close to the garbage cans usually stops them from doing that.

Nick

o

You all are too funny....of course, I did that with my passion vine (threatened to throw it in the garbage) and it busted out in bloom that year! Hmmm, could be something to it!
Thanks everyone, you guys are a big help!! And good for a laugh!

o

I keep a Database of a local Orchid Society Benching results and sadly i have to report that the orchid in question flowers in February or March here (about latitude 34 South). Count back six months and you get for the Northern Hemisphere August or September. Maybe orchids do different things in Zone 5.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here