Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seidenfadenia Mitrata

Posted by dlsorchids PA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 18, 11 at 19:01

Back in March of 2011 I attended the International Orchid Show at Longwood Gardens. That was my first show and my oh my was it amazing to see so many different orchids in one place. Anyways, I purchased a Seidenfadenia Mitrata from Ooi Leng Sun Orchids because it was cool how the orchid hung upside down. Well for the last nine months the only thing that has happened is 2 new roots grew from the crown and nothing else. The roots only grew out about an inch and nothing more. Ive searched all over the internet and cant find any useful information on care or maintaining this orchid. I have the orchid mounted to hickory bark with moss. I live in South Central PA and I mist the moss 2 times a day. The realitive humidity at this time of the year in my home is around 60% and I keep the temp at 70. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seidenfadenia Mitrata

Gorgeous orchid. Have a look at the entry in Jays Species Orchid site and google the Synonym Aerides mitrata.

o
RE: Seidenfadenia Mitrata

I have been growing the mitrata (pink) and mitrata (alba) for many years now. They don't seem to need any special conditions; one is bareroot mounted on cork and the other just hanging bareroot from a wire hook. Humidity runs 50-60% on the average but can be higher or lower. Temps 60-85F depending on season. Bright indirect light. Fertilized when I remember.

The plants put out their spikes here in March and bloom in April, generally.

Good luck with your plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here