Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problem cattleya

Posted by beanthere NW BC Canada (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 13, 11 at 19:43

my rather old cattleya formed buds which turned brown/black and dried up. Some of the leaves have raised black spots on them. I think this is a disease of some sort even though it needs repotting. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problem cattleya

Yes fungus. If the plant is old, I wouldn't try and resuscitate it as the problem is probably systemic. Instead I would concentrate on giving your new plant plenty of strong light and good ventilation - they will tolerate up to 4 hours a day of direct sun, probably more in Canada, morning and/or evening. You could use light shading in the summer. - Ian.

o

They can get way more than 4 hours up here! I don't have catts, mostly Oncids, and they took almost full sun all summer long and right now all of my house plants get an unfiltered south facing window, your catt will appreciate the move! also, i'm in Windsor, across from Detroit, the most Southern part of Canada, so if they can handle it here, i'm sure that they can in NW BC!

o

beanthere, you did not say what the plant is growing in.
Generally bud blast is either due to environmental conditions or root deterioration. Repot into fresh bark.
Then provide excellent humidity by spraying or watering daily, with high temps (75F to 85F) and AIR CIRCULATION.
And as much light as they can stand without burning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here