Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with ID of Trader Joe's NOID

Posted by karen451 none (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 20:36

Hi there

Despite my resolutions to be strong, I succumbed this weekend to the urge to "rescue" a Trader Joe's orchid (Whitecat8: I really tried to resist, but what can I say I am weak). Can someone help ID it for me. The label just says Intergeneric oncidium. Apologies for the slightly blurry pic

Thanks in advance
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with ID of Trader Joe's NOID

• Posted by bob8 z5 NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 11:37

I think it might be Sanderara Black Star 'Pacific Red Star'. Check out this link:
http://theorchidworks.com/varieties/R351 Sand. Black Star 'Pacific Red Star'.html

o

It does look a lot like it. Thanks v. much.
Now I am worried that I got something unsuitable for my growth conditions. I have got Oncidiums and Brassia's to rebloom on a South facing windowsill in Zone 7 and was hoping that, since it looked oncidium-like that it would be fine, but I dont think that my light level amounts to 3000 ft candles as the link you sent me recommends. Should I panic?

o

Also, it seems to be potted in what looks like regular potting mix rather than bark. Do I need to worry about the roots? Should I repot as soon as it finishes blooming or wait until spring. I want to transfer it to hydroton eventually

o

• Posted by bob8 z5 NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 18:41

Karen, if I were you I'd repot it after it finishes blooming into whatever works for you. I'll bet you can rebloom this under your current conditions if you rebloom other oncidium intergenerics. Remember, you can always place it outside slowly getting it used to the sun in the spring after all the frost is done. I have a greenhouse but take out my nobile dendrobiums to give them the extra burst of energy that the receive from being outside.

o

Sadly, living in an apartment as I do, I have no outside space to put it, but based on your advice I will remain optimistic. Many thanks.

o

Karen I get the plight of an indoor grower. Have you though about a light cart?

o

I am trying to prevent the orchids and their toys and accessories from taking over my apartment. I have some under spot lights but I worry that a cart would tip the balance of power between me and the orchids over the edge ;-)

o

You'd be surprised! What I've learned is that having a cart strongly limits your space, if you are sensitive to the plants needs. Trying to fit that one more in, it makes things less optimal for other plants that get booted from prime spots. The overcrowdign also creates an issue where plants start shading each other out, which is bad indoors. If you are sensitive to this stuff, its actually a great management tool for your collection size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here