Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paph. Armeniacum

Posted by bandraman 9a (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 14, 11 at 20:47

Am looking to buy a well established P. Armeniacum - any ideas as to where I might find one at a resonable price? Also, what is the best growing medium for these plants?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paph. Armeniacum

I like orchid inn ltd, I think he is in Illinois or Indiana. The owner, Sam, is well know in the multi floral slipper orchid breeding world. He also has given more than one talk to my club and always brings top notch stuff. How his sizes or prices compare to others, I do not know. But I have at least 6 of his personal crosses and several species from him and they are all very nice. Mine are in baby bark- but you will need to decide for yourself depending on your conditions.

o

• Posted by bob8 z5 NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 15, 11 at 14:31

Another place to consider is Parkside Orchids in PA. I know Sam and have bought many of his plants. I would like to say that in my option when Orchid Inn says that the plant is blooming size that many times it is a year or so from blooming size. I'm not infering that he lies. My thoughts are that he has say 100 or more seedling, 3 or 4 bloom first so he assumes the rest of them are now blooming size. One way to be sure to get a blooming size with Orchid Inn is to request on in bud or sheath. Sometimes he charges $5 extra for in bud plants. I will say that I have seen him sell in bud and or sheath plants that where indeed blooming size. I do buy lots of plants from Sam, it's just that I expect them a little smaller then advertised. This is when he is talking near blooming size or blooming size. If he states they are so many c.m. in leaf span they are exactly that or possible slightly larger. A great way to get plants from Sam if you aren't looking for a particular specie or cross is to get his beginer package. I'm no beginer but do buy that package as they are usually the size he advertised or larger and are a great value of quality breeding. One more thing, if you are requesting a armeniacum in bud, request just that. Armeniacum are one of the paphs. that stay in sheath forever. Sometimes for 6 or 9 months. They sheaths blast pretty easy but a bud does not. Good luck on your hunt. Please let us know how you make out.

o

Thanks a ton for your detailed feedback. I will call both places tomorrow to check if they have this paph.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here