Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves damaged by heat!!

Posted by Jmt8778 none (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 22:11

Please help! My boyfriend gave me a beautiful orchid plant for my birthday and after our recent holiday party I noticed the leaves had large brown wilted spots. The plant was moved during the party and set next to a small candle display. I think the heat over the tea light did this but I need to know how to fix it!! Please help :/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves damaged by heat!!

Just cut off the burned part of the leaves until you see healthy tissue. There's no way to fix burned leaves. Cutting off the burns will keep infection from setting in.

Your plant will grow new leaves over time and should be fine.

Jane

o

Thanks Jane! By the picture you believe it to be the candle as well? Nothing like a watering problem or something other? Being new to this I have been looking at every other thing it could be...but my true thought is it was the candle.
This might be a dumb question but what is best to use when cutting the damage off the leaves?
Thanks for all of the help

o

Sterile razor blade or sharp knife. Cut about 1/4" behind the mushy parts. Dust cut with standard kitchen ground cinnamon powder and keep cut dry for a week or so.

Good luck,

Bob

o

Yes, looks like burn, cut it as Bob explained.

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here