Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do you keep the leaves clean

Posted by seattlemarigene pacific northwest (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 6, 07 at 22:19

I have some water spots on some of my orchid leaves.I take a damp paper towel and wipe the orchid leaves but they still dont look clean enough.I remember back in the 70's we used to use mayo to make plant leaves clean and shiney looking.Is that a safe idea with orchids...?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do you keep the leaves clean

Seattle, I am sure people have many other home recipes, but I just received a sample of Botani-wipes today, they are made with neem-oil for creepy crawly things. My plants look so pretty and smell nice too. I am going to order me some tomorrow.

o

Hello! I feel like mayo will lead to unfortunate mold problems!!! Can't you use diluted lemon juice to clean them? There are also some commercial products out there, I think. Or you could switch to RO water and then you won't get any spots! :D

o

The Botani-wipes sound interesting.

When a plant is brand new, I've been using full-strength lemon juice from a bottle, wiped on both sides of leaves w/ a paper towel. When the plant's due for leaching, I run tap water over the leaves, rubbing both sides w/ my fingers. So far, it's working.

Whitecat8

o

I'm with Calvin on this, hold back on the mayo. Soapy water, dilute lemon or orange juice is what Peter Lin recommends.

o

I mist with a little neem oil with a drop of soap in water solution every couple of weeks and the leaves stay very clean and shiny. before i discovered neem oil, i used to wipe or wash the leaves with little soap and water. However, with my non-orchid plants i used to get spider mites or aphids in the winter. since using the neem oil, those pests seem to be under control so far.
sue

o

wow so many good ideas....thanks alot..I will have those leaves looking good in no time..I cant stand haveing anything looking dirty in my house..:0)

o

Hello -
Milk (from a cow!) will remove the white powdery deposit and leave the foliage glossy. I think it's the lactic acid that dissolves the chemical build up. I use it on a cotton pad for smaller plants, and in a spray bottle for the bigger ones, then wipe with cotton or a tissue.
Soymilk, sadly, does not have the same effect.
Cheers - Nancy

o

Pokon leaf shine is what I spray on the leaves only.It gets rid of water spots and provides a shine.

o

a teaspoon of olive oil, mixed with a few drops of washing liquid and topped up with about 1/2 litre of water works for me.....

John

o

Gosh!with so many ideas Im tempted to try something different on each orchid...thanks gang..:0)

o

Hehehe. I loved this post. How the hell do you wipe the leaves of 200 orchids clean every week! I have a life! Smack 'em hard with the hose!

o

Lol darlin...I only have a dozen orchids and Im a clean freak so my leaves have to be clean..dont think the hose would reach from outside to in the living room anyway...:0)

o

I like ifraser's idea ..
I use rain water or mine would have white leaves .
Beware of oils if the plant gets direct sun , I know of a person that used Mayo. to clean leaves before taking to a show . It was put into it's usual spot after the show , All the leaves died/cooked it was a Catt. Gin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here