Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Miracle Gro for orchids any good?

Posted by bamboo_ca z10 SoCA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 30, 08 at 22:38

I was given a bag of miracle gro for orchids not too long ago and I have a catt that I need to re-pot and I was wondering if I should use it? I was going to re-pot using an orchid mixture that indicates it is for catts. Will miracle gro do well with catts or any other orchids?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Miracle Gro for orchids any good?

I use Miracle Gro for tomatoes on my orchids. They love it!

o

I've been using Miracle Gro, either the regular or the acid-loving plant type, on my orchids for at least 30 years. They love it.

Howard, I hadn't tried the tomato kind. What is the ratio?

o

I use the 7-7-7 Miracle Gro liquid concentrate for African violets. Comes in an 8-ounce bottle, and contains micros. About $2.50 at WalMart.

-Bruce

o

I thought OP was asking about the Miracle Grow potting mix, not the fertilizer.

o

Carol, I use the Miracle Gro tomato formula during the peak sunlight hours of the year, 1 TABLESPOON/gallon, tap water. This concentration may appear to be excessive, but it works for me. I've tried weaker concentrations.

--Stitz--

o

Yes, it does look like the OP was asking about a potting mix instead. Got confused since my MiracleGro fertilizer comes in a bag also.

bamboo, if it's a nice open mix which would drain well, sounds like it would do fine with Catts.

o

I bought MiracleGro mix once and ended up throwing the whole bag out. It was way to fine for my liking. Might work good for masdies and the like but I would not use for catts, phals, oncid.,etc...

o

I use the MiracleGro orchid mix for a few of my finer root terrestrial orchids but I would never use it on a Catt. It's way too fine for that. Bamboo_ca, look for med or large size orchid bark by any manufacturer for your Catt. Try to match the size bark to the size that it's currently planted in. It's sometimes call Phalanopsis Mix. It's easy to find in any big box store or garden center. Catt's need a lot of air circulation around their roots and they need to dry out between waterings or they get root rot. The bag of mix that you have doesn't allow for either. If you're like the rest of us you'll find other types of orchids that you can use the MiracleGro mix for. (I have at least 3 different types of orchid mix on hand and it is one of them.)

o

Yeah I did suspect Miracle Gro would be too fine a mixture, in fact thats the main reason I made the post.

Thanks everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here