Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamboo_ca

Is Miracle Gro for orchids any good?

bamboo_ca
15 years ago

I was given a bag of miracle gro for orchids not too long ago and I have a catt that I need to re-pot and I was wondering if I should use it? I was going to re-pot using an orchid mixture that indicates it is for catts. Will miracle gro do well with catts or any other orchids?

Comments (9)

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

I use Miracle Gro for tomatoes on my orchids. They love it!

• cjwatson
    15 years ago

I've been using Miracle Gro, either the regular or the acid-loving plant type, on my orchids for at least 30 years. They love it.

Howard, I hadn't tried the tomato kind. What is the ratio?

• bcfromfl
    15 years ago

I use the 7-7-7 Miracle Gro liquid concentrate for African violets. Comes in an 8-ounce bottle, and contains micros. About $2.50 at WalMart.

-Bruce

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

Carol, I use the Miracle Gro tomato formula during the peak sunlight hours of the year, 1 TABLESPOON/gallon, tap water. This concentration may appear to be excessive, but it works for me. I've tried weaker concentrations.

--Stitz--

• cjwatson
    15 years ago

Yes, it does look like the OP was asking about a potting mix instead. Got confused since my MiracleGro fertilizer comes in a bag also.

bamboo, if it's a nice open mix which would drain well, sounds like it would do fine with Catts.

• smwboxer
    15 years ago

I bought MiracleGro mix once and ended up throwing the whole bag out. It was way to fine for my liking. Might work good for masdies and the like but I would not use for catts, phals, oncid.,etc...

• claire1_2008
    15 years ago

I use the MiracleGro orchid mix for a few of my finer root terrestrial orchids but I would never use it on a Catt. It's way too fine for that. Bamboo_ca, look for med or large size orchid bark by any manufacturer for your Catt. Try to match the size bark to the size that it's currently planted in. It's sometimes call Phalanopsis Mix. It's easy to find in any big box store or garden center. Catt's need a lot of air circulation around their roots and they need to dry out between waterings or they get root rot. The bag of mix that you have doesn't allow for either. If you're like the rest of us you'll find other types of orchids that you can use the MiracleGro mix for. (I have at least 3 different types of orchid mix on hand and it is one of them.)

• bamboo_ca
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah I did suspect Miracle Gro would be too fine a mixture, in fact thats the main reason I made the post.

Thanks everyone.