Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inderoo

Chronic bud blast?

inderoo
12 years ago

Hi everyone, new to the forum! I've got a cattleya, which I bought last year at an orchid nursery. It had buds on it at the time... unfortunately it dropped all of the buds. I was house sitting at the time, and one of the cats in the house had a habit of peeing on my things! I swore that the orchid smelled of urine, so I figured that's why the buds dropped. During the summer time I had it outside on my deck soaking up plenty of sunshine. I fertilized once every two weeks, and watered once a week. I ended up having to re-pot it (some dead roots), and since then it put out a new leaf. I noticed recently that it had a bud coming from the new growth, and was so very exited to finally see my orange flowers!! But to my dismay, it dropped the bud AGAIN! To get to the point, is it possible for an orchid to simply have some genetic defect that causes it to always drop buds, or am I just doing everything wrong for this poor cattleya?! My other cattleya bloomed happily this past summer in the same exact environment, just as a side note...

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?