Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this??

Posted by txbelle 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 16, 11 at 23:33

Several years ago, I inherited a noid orchid that looked like an Oncidium with some graying on its main pseudobulb. I posted on this forum for some help identifying what it was. The consensus was generally an Oncidium, but to try to get it to bloom for positive ID. So for years it sat .. and sat, taking up valuable space. I would put more light directly on it, move it here and there, etc. And it sat some more. Well - I went to water it one day about a month or more ago and found it spiking! (I think it heard me say I was going to give it away). Go to the link to see it. Can anyone identify?? Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oncidium Surprise close up

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this??

The link goes to photobucket home page.

o
What is this?? Second Attempt at Photo

Sorry - first attempt didn't work. I'll try again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oncidium Surprise close up

o

Second picture:

Here is a link that might be useful: Oncidium Surprise

o

Is is an Oncidium intergeneric, maybe a Brassidium, (Oncdium x Brassia) but that is just a guess. Thousands of registered hybrids, plus the variation in the flowers for each cross make a positive id almost impossible.

o

Reminds me of beallara Marfitch "Howard's Dream"

o

Thank you ArthurM and vtandrea. I looked at Brassidiums on the web and the flower most closely resembles them. The blooms are so beautiful that it was nearly worth the 5 or 6 year wait to get them! I don't have a set up that delivers enough light for high-light orchids so blooming them is problematic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here